QuickBooks has stopped working/ Not responding / Or Not opening the company file. Every business owner is well versed with QuickBooks, accounting software that helps organize complex data in a much easier way. Although the software is designed to bring order to complexities, at times, the software may malfunction. One of the significant blunders is when QuickBooks has stopped working out of nowhere for an assortment of specific reasons. In this blog, we will dig deep into the reasons, symptoms, and various troubleshooting methods for the error Not responding.
Reasons why QuickBooks not Responding After Update occurs?
Facing QuickBooks has stopped working after update problem when striving to open the QuickBooks Desktop? Aside from Stopped working Error in QuickBooks, your QuickBooks can freeze for a long while. And we have listed below all possible causes.
- Your company file name is very long.
- Maybe the QBWuser.ini file is got corrupted.
- Your Storage drive is damaged.
- Program files or QuickBooks desktop installation is damaged.
- Errors in Your windows may also cause.
- Malware infection occupying your computer all resources.
- You are using System which is not meeting with QuickBooks Desktop minimum system requirements.
Symptoms of QuickBooks not responding after Update
Go through the following most common symptoms wherein you may experience QuickBooks has stopped working issue.
- Your QuickBooks stops responding to your commands.
- All Running tabs are forcefully quiet.
- QuickBooks is not opening.
- The whole system shuts down repeatedly as you try to open the QB desktop.
- My QuickBooks is running very slow.
- Unable to open the Company file.
Read more:– Adjust Accounts Payable in QuickBooks With Journal Entry | Easy Steps
How do I permanently fix QuickBooks Has stopped working?
I can assume that now you are all aware of the reasons that usually show up, has stopped working in QuickBooks problem. So let’s jump into the troubleshooting of QuickBooks not responding.
Solution 1: Download and Install QuickBooks Refresher Tool
- Download QuickBooks Refresher Tool in your computer
- Then go to your download (Ctrl+J) and click on qbrefresherv1.exe to install
- Now make a double click on the QuickBooks Refresher tool icon
- If asks, click on Yes to allow user account control permission
- Then click on Yes to accept terms
- Then click on Fix my QuickBooks
- It may take some time to fix your QuickBooks Program
- Then reopen QuickBooks Desktop
If the same problem still exists after following the above step, please proceed further with the below ones too.
Solution 2: Download and use QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool (QBInstall Tool)
QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool helps to fix Microsoft components automatically that QuickBooks use.
- Install QuickBooks Tool Hub and move to your download by clicking CTRL + J
- In your downloads list, click on QuickBooksToolsHub.exe
- Click on Yes to enable this app for alterations
- Now, click on Next to install it. After that, click again on Yes to accept the license agreement
- Now, click on Next and later on Install (It may take some time)
- Once done with the installation, click on Finish
- Open QuickBooks Tool Hub. The icon will be available on the desktop
- Go to the installation Issues tab and then, click on the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
- It might take some time to configure
- Once it’s configured, click on Yes to accept the license agreement
- Click Proceed to start repair on QuickBooks desktop components.
- Once finished, restart your computer.
Related article to read — How to swiftly resolve QuickBooks error 6123
Solution 3: Rename or delete the QBWUSER.ini File to fix QuickBooks has stopped working error
If your QBWUSER.INI file is damaged or missing, it can be resolved by renaming it. To rename it follow the steps mentioned below:
- Access the folder where QBWUSER.ini is saved
- Location: \Users\[Your user name]\AppData\Local\Intuit\QuickBooks [year]
- Click on “Rename” after right-clicking the QBWUSER.ini.
- After that, Add .old at the end of the file name
- Rename the EntitlementDataStore.ecml file.
- Open a sample company file if the program opens after renaming either EntitlementDataStore.ecml or QBWUSER.ini.
You have to open the file after copying it to a different folder if the sample file is accessible, but the company file is not. If you can access the company file from a different location, then there is a possibility that the problem is occurring due to the folder permission or the damaged folder. The company file is most likely to being damaged if you are still unable to sign into the data. In such events, restore the earlier backup of the data.
If QuickBooks is not starting or cannot access the sample company file, the QuickBooks installation might be damaged.
Delete your Entitlement File too
- Press Windows + R together to open Run
- Enter C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v8. If not found look for C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v6 and click OK
- Then make a right-click on EntitlementDataStore.ecml and click Delete and then Yes
- Now reopen QuickBooks
If you are unable to open your company file from the new location, it means your data may be corrupted, try to restore a recent backup. If QuickBooks still will not open and have QuickBooks not responding error, it means your QuickBooks installation is damaged.
Solution 4: Uninstall and Reinstall QuickBooks Using Clean Install
This tool helps you to remove the existing files and folders that have QuickBooks installation
Uninstall QuickBooks Program
- Press Windows + R keys together to open a Run
- Type appwiz.cpl and click OK
- Under Programs and Features select QuickBooks and click Uninstall
- Click Yes, If prompts you
- Click Next and choose Remove
- Then Next and then Remove
- It may take some time to uninstall QuickBooks from your computer
- Once installation wizard successfully uninstalled QuickBooks, click Finish
Reinstall QuickBooks using Clean Install Tool
- Download and Install QuickBooks Tools Hub
- Then double click on QuickBooks Tool hub icon on the desktop
- If it asks then, click on Yes
- Once QuickBooks Tool Hub opens up click on Installation Issues
- Click on Clean Install Tool
- Then choose your QuickBooks Version and Product Version (see an image below)
- Then click Continue
If this troubleshooting method does not work for you, move to the next process to correct it.
Read more :- Here’s How to Quickly Obviate QuickBooks Error 106
Solution 5: Create a New Windows Admin User to Resolve QuickBooks Has stopped working issue
If you are still facing the same issue, it could be a cause for damaged Windows installation. You may need to create a new Windows user and use QuickBooks from there.
To create a new user in Windows 10
- Make a right-click on Start icon and select Settings
- Click Accounts
- Then Choose Family & other users
- Click on Add someone else to this PC
- Now follow on-screen instructions to create a new user in Windows 10
To create a new user in Windows 8
Swipe from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings and then tap Change PC settings. (If you are using a mouse, point towards the lower-right corner of the screen, drag the mouse pointer upwards, click on Settings, and later click Change PC settings.)
- Click Accounts, and later click on other accounts
- Click on add an account
- Enter the account info for the person to sign in to Windows. There are four ways to do this:
- If the person you are adding already has a Microsoft account, enter it now.
- If the person you are adding does not have a Microsoft account, you can use their email address to create one. Enter the email address that a person uses most frequently.
- If the person you are adding does not have an email address, tap or click Sign up for a new email address. It is free.
- If the person you are including is a child, Click on the add child’s account.
- Follow the given instructions to finish setting up the account.
Solution 6: Restart your system and Temporarily Disable your Anti-virus Program
- Reboot the computer.
- Open your QuickBooks Desktop.
These steps can fix the issue if it is not arising due to any significant reason. If the error persists, try disabling the anti-virus. Contact an IT professional or the anti-virus program’s help documentation to know how to disable the anti-virus program.
Related Article:- Quick hacks for QuickBooks license error
Solution 7: Download and Run Full system scan using Malwarebytes
Having malwares on the computer may also cause the system being lag or programs like QuickBooks have stop working. You may also encounter a problem wherein task manager your disk tab consumption 100% Though no program or process is running. Malwarebytes is a handy tool to tackle a malware infection.
To Download Malwarebytes, you have to visit their official website, and There they also offer you a trial version for 15 days. Then install the download Malwarebytes file properly and At last run for Full system scan and Scanning a full system may take a long while. At last, restart the computer and then check does QuickBooks is not responding resolved or still showing.
Still Facing QuickBooks Has Stopped Working or Not Responding Issue
By following any of the above-stated methods, the users can quickly fix the error, “QuickBooks has stopped working” after update at the earliest. However, if somehow, none of the methods work in your favor, then you must take the assistance of our support team. The trained technical experts’ group makes sure that they deal with the lost QB connection in no time. You can quickly contact them by calling on the dedicated helpline number 1.800.417.5147.
In case you are facing a technical issue with your QB software, then you must reach out to the service team, as for remote access and critical premise, they cater to individual stock and permanent solutions.