QuickBooks error 6123 is a challenging error that takes place while using the application for day-to-day accounting process management. It indicates an issue while opening the company file due to connectivity issues and more. Whatever the reason, it can significantly hamper your productivity. Therefore, having a handy guide to fix the problem is crucial.
QuickBooks is undoubtedly one of the most acclaimed accounting software among CPAs, business owners, and individual entrepreneurs. The features and functions bestowed by the accounting software can help you to streamline your business process and maximize its profitability. However, technical challenges are integral to the program, and you have to deal with them. Error code 6123, 0 is another technical issue that can annoy you until fixed.
QuickBooks Desktop error 6123 may annoy you to the core. Dial our QuickBooks error support number 1.800.579.9430 and experience hassle-free troubleshooting from qualified professionals.
Understanding QuickBooks Error code 6123 0 and Instances When It Appears
QuickBooks Error code 6123 appears on your screen when-
- You try to restore a company file from the backup you made earlier.
- You try to open a company file in a multi-user environment.
- QuickBooks Error 6123 0 also occurs when a user account doesn’t have permission to read/write files.
- You try opening, upgrading, or restoring your company file, and the error strikes your system.
- Restoring your company file directly from the hard drive can also cause error code 6123 QuickBooks.
- Further, restoring your backup on a new computer can invite this error.
You can also find the Error 6123 QuickBooks in the form of the below-Mentioned text.
“Problem Connecting to Server
Error: -6123, 0
We’re sorry, but QuickBooks can’t open your company file.
Here are a couple of ways to fix the problem:
i. Run the QuickBooks File Doctor.
ii. Make sure your server is set up for the QuickBooks Database manager.”
Closing some programs or modifying a file can help rectify the error. QuickBooks error code 6123 and its message provide solutions that users can consider. However, you may not find them helpful for one or the other reason. Therefore, understanding the various reasons causing error 6123 to crop up is crucial. Knowing the cause can be helpful for you in the error resolution. This blog will discuss the various reasons for the error and the troubleshooting steps involved.
Causes of QuickBooks Error 6123
The possible causes of QuickBooks error -6123, 0 are listed below-
- When you attempt to restore the backup of a company file using an external storage device
- McAfee Antivirus installed on the PC gets intermingled with the QuickBooks Desktop and causes the error 6123 in QuickBooks Desktop to appear on your screen.
- When the host server fails to establish a connection with the network
- QuickBooks error 6123, 0 can also be caused if the company data file is damaged.
- When Firewall settings are not supportive of opening the company file
- It can be a damaged Windows responsible for the QuickBooks error -6123,0 nuisance.
- If your QuickBooks Desktop application is outdated, you may see error 6123.
- Trying to restore your backup from an online source can also trigger this error.
- Not having QB Database Server Manager running on Windows can lead to error 6123 QuickBooks.
- Outdated Windows also causes an error.
- If you modify the company file name of the host computer while hosting the company file, an error may arise.
- Having multiple QB versions running on one computer can attract error 6123 QuickBooks Desktop.
- Launching your company file on an incompatible QB version can attract this error.
Troubleshooting Techniques to Eliminate QuickBooks Error 6123
For different causes, there are various solutions. Follow the below-described troubleshooting solutions to fix the intimidating QuickBooks 6123 error code.
Solution 1- Open the company from your Desktop
Moving the company file to a different location will help you to verify if there is a problem with the file path. You’ll get to know the root trigger of error code 6123 QuickBooks Desktop. Follow the given steps-
- Go to the location where the company file is saved.
- Find the file with the .QBW extension and copy the file by right-clicking.
- Now create a new folder on your Desktop by right-clicking in the blank space and selecting New>Folder.
- Open the newly created folder and paste the file there.
- Now open QuickBooks and try to open the file from the new location.
- Check for QuickBooks error -6123
Solution 2- Use Tool Hub “Quick fix my program”
Quick fix my program is designed to resolve QuickBooks’s common errors quickly, and If you have a query, How to use Quick fix my program to mend the 6123 Error QuickBooks, Then we have placed a list of steps to use and troubleshoot errors swiftly.
- Click on the Download Now Link to Download the QuickBooks Tool hub.
- Next, Install the QuickBooks Tool Hub in C drive.
- Double-click on the QuickBooksToolHub icon to launch it.
- Next, click on the QuickBooks Program problems Tab.
- Next, click “Quick fix my program” to start the repair process.
- Lastly, Restart the QuickBooks. Open the same data file. Check if the QuickBooks message code 6123 persists.
Solution 3- Download and utilize the QuickBooks File Doctor
Using File Doctor can fix all kinds of data file damages and network issues in QuickBooks. Consider performing the below-listed steps to correct the QuickBooks error 6123, 0.
- Download QuickBooks File Doctor from the official website of Intuit and then Run the tool.
- Use the Browse option to find the company file.
- Now opt for Check File Damage Only and then Diagnose File.
- Login as Administrator and then tap OK.
- Now you may choose among one of the troubleshooting options between Open File in the Newer Version and Repair File in the existing version.
- Follow the instructions on your screen carefully, and then reboot your computer to finish the troubleshooting.
If you’re still getting error 6123 troubling you, hop into the next step.
Solution 4- Try to fix the error by renaming TLG and ND file
Two configuration files help users to access their data files in the QuickBooks multi-user environment. If these files get damaged, then renaming can fix the error 6123 QuickBooks Desktop—
- Go to the folder where the company file is stored
- Now select the ND file corresponding QBW file
- Right-click on the file and select Rename from the drop-down.
- Now, Rename .ND file to .ND.OLD.
- Repeat the same for .TLG file
- Now open the company data file to determine if you’re stillgetting error 6123 0.
Solution 5- Check for antivirus interference to fix error code 6123 0 in QuickBooks
Check that your antivirus program is not causing trouble for the users in opening the QuickBooks company file. All you need is to disable the antivirus software and try to open the company file. It can be a helpful troubleshooting step for getting error code 6123 0. If not, go to the next solution.
Solution 6- Make use of Auto Data Recovery
Damaged data can be resolved using QuickBooks’s Auto Data recovery feature. You have to restore the automatic data backup.ADR file and check whether it is helpful or not. This step can fix error 6123 in QuickBooks in case of data damage. If you are still getting error code 6123 QuickBooks, jump to the following solution.
Solution 7- Create a QBM file instead QBB file
QBM is the extension of the QuickBooks portable file, and QBB is a QuickBooks backup file. If you encounter an error while restoring the backup file, then you should create a QBM file instead of a QBB file and try restoring it into the company file. If you aren’t sure how to create a portable file when getting error 6123 QuickBooks, then follow the steps:
Step 1: Create QBM (Portable company file)
- In the First Place, Launch the QuickBooks Desktop program.
- Next, log in as an admin.
- After that, click on File & choose to Create copy option, and Choose Portable company file.
- Give your company files a random or meaningful name.
- Next, select an appropriate site to save the file.
- Last, Click on Save and then press the ok button.
Step 2: Restore the Portable company file in the desired location
Now you have to move the portable company file where you were seeking to restore the company file, and we have mentioned the steps carefully below on How to restore a portable company file. This will stop you from getting message 6123 QuickBooks Desktop:
- Start the QuickBooks desktop application.
- Click on File and then select restore portable file and Click on Next.
- Next, Browse the File with the extension QBM, select the file, and click on open.
- Click on the Next button and save the file in the desired location.
You may like to read — How to fix QuickBooks Error code 6094
Solution 8: Enable Read/Write Permission
- Terminate the running process of QuickBooks Desktop.
- Next, Go to the following location.
C:/ Users/Public/Public Documents/Intuit/QuickBooks/Company Files
NOTE: For a server or different OS, locations can be different.
- Open the Properties of Company File Folder.
- Next, click on the Security tab option.
- Click on Edit Button.
- In the group or users section, Select the user who is getting an Error.
- In the allow column select all checkmarks.
- At last, restart the system and try to open/restore the same file.
Solution 9: Form a New Windows User
If the Windows user login is corrupted, the statistics of facing the error 6123 go high. Therefore, creating a new Windows user by executing the following steps can help:
- Launch the Control Panel and navigate to the user icon to create new users.
- Next, choose Admin as the user type.
- Now, log out of the existing systems, reboot, and log in using the new credentials.
- Further, the user should move the company file to the Desktop.
- It’s time for the user to open QuickBooks and attempt to access the company file.
Solution 10: Use Verify and Rebuild Data
When QuickBooks error 6123 strikes your system, use the in-built verify and rebuild data utilities. Do so as follows:
- Open the QuickBooks application and access the File menu.
- Select the Utilities button.
- Choose Verify data.
- The Verify Data utility will scan your company file and list the errors grasping them. It’ll report the results, and you can proceed accordingly. If you see errors, you can use the Rebuild Data utility.
- Launch the rebuild scan from the File menu >> Utilities option in QuickBooks Desktop.
- Start the scan for your company file and resolve all the errors.
Still Facing QuickBooks Error 6123
I hope you haven’t faced any problems with solutions, and now your QuickBooks is free from QuickBooks Error 6123. But users still face errors even after following all the troubleshooting steps asked by experts. Perhaps, in that case, you need to contact the QuickBooks data service team, and Their Tool helpline number is 1-800-579-9430.
Yes, the company file name can be responsible for error 6123 if it has any special character or exceeds the specified limits. Therefore, it is critical to ensure no more than 30 characters in the company file name without any special characters or blank spaces.
You can fix QB error 6123 0 through the following methods:
1. Configuring antivirus and firewall settings.
2. Toggling QB Hosting settings.
3. Restart QB and rescan company files.
4. Utilize the Auto Data Recovery tool.
When QuickBooks error 6123 strikes your system, you’ll face the following consequences:
1. You can’t open, restore, upgrade, or use your company file.
2. You won’t be able to restore your company file from the hard drive.
3. Trying to restore a backup on a new computer becomes a hassle.
4. Your application will run sluggishly.
5. The mouse and keyboard commands offer slow responses.
The loading circle keeps spinning when you try to conduct an operation.