QuickBooks application has all that an accountant needs, and all the data is stored in a company file. It isn’t hard to understand the importance of this company file, and when the screen displays “QuickBooks is unable to open this company file,” it can leave the user panicked. Well, our experts have studied this error message in detail, resulting in this elaborate blog. We have covered all you need to know if your company file is missing in QuickBooks.
In addition, to save yourself some time and any unwanted modifications in your critical company file, we suggest calling the support team on +1 800-579-9430
Description of the Error “QuickBooks is Unable to Open this Company file in Multi User”
In order to solve the error “QuickBooks is Unable To Open this Company File,” it is essential to know what the error stands for. For example, the following message will appear on the screen when the company file goes missing.
Warning: The company file you selected could not be found. You can try one of the following:
Choose the ‘Open or Restore Company…’ command from the ‘File’ menu to look for this file in a different directory.
(or) Use the ‘Search’ tool from the Windows’ Start Menu’ to search for this file on your computer.
To successfully fix the “Company file is missing” error, you must tick off specific points. This will ensure you can accomplish the process successfully without losing the essential company file data.
- Before looking for ways to get rid of the QuickBooks “QuickBooks failed to open company file,” error message, be sure to double-check that the root of the error is the company file and not the QuickBooks program.
- Additionally, you must update your QuickBooks to the latest version. Updating the application will help deal with common glitches and may fix the “QuickBooks company file cannot be opened” error.
- As a user, you must know that there must be a single host computer on a network.
What do Experts Suggest when you see the “can’t open QuickBooks company file” Error Message?
Now that you have a clear picture of the “QuickBooks company file will not open” error here is what can be done to locate the missing file. Follow various methods listed, and you should be back on track soon.
At times, you see the “QuickBooks unable to open company file” error message because the file’s location has been changed; hence, to locate these files, follow this method. Use your server computer’s search and perform a wildcard search in the search bar for the company files by entering the following text.
Note: The Asterisk (*) before the extension type ensures no result is left out.
- *.qbw (Working Files)
- *.qbb (Back-Up Files)
- *.qba (Accountants Copy Files)
- *.qbx (Accountants Transfer Files)
- *.qby (Accountants Change Files)
After the file is highlighted, take note of its location and move to the next solution.
After taking a note of your company file’s location in this first method, here is how you can rightly access it. Use the different ways listed below based on the type of your QuickBooks file.
How to launch a company file (.qbw) or an accountant’s copy (.qba)?
- Go to the File menu.
- From there, choose the Open or Restore Company option.
- Select the Open a Company File option and then Next.
- Choose your company file and locate the above-noted location.
- Hit on the Open button.
How to open a company file Backup (.qbb)?
- Click on the File menu.
- Choose the Open or Restore Company option.
- Go to Restore a Backup File section, then click Next.
- Next, you must select Local backup.
- Click on the Company file and hit the Next button.
- Finalize a location to save the restored file and select Save.
Launch an Accountant’s Copy Transfer file (.qbx)
- First, navigate to the File menu.
- Select the Open or Restore a company option.
- Click on Convert an Accountant’s Copy Transfer File.
- Hit on the Next button.
- When you come across the What the Accountant’s Copy Can and Can’t Do, click on Next.
- Highlight the transfer file (.qbx) and choose Open.
- Select the location of the Accountant’s Copy File, then click on the Save button.
Using this third method, you can review your computer’s connectivity to the network. This solution is to be used on the client workstation to ensure it has access to the server.
- As the first step, you must look for the name of the server system.
- Press the Windows + R keys together to open the Run command window.
- Now type CMD, then hit on the OK button.
- Enter ipconfig /all and click on Enter.
- Note down the Host Name (servername).
- You must enter the ping [name of your server] before pressing the Enter key.
- Now, you must wait for a response for each packet.
- If you get a reply for each packet, it shows the successful connectivity of your computer to the network.
- In case of delayed response or packet loss, you must contact experts.
By following the above methods with caution and in the given order, you will be free of constant flashing of the “QuickBooks is unable to open this company file” error message. If your application still displays the message and you seem to find no way out, you must waste no further time taking professional assistance. Place a call to the support team on the toll-free number +1 800-579-9430.