Sometimes, when a user tries to guard the data by creating a backup file, they encounter an error message saying, “QuickBooks unable to backup your company file. QuickBooks could not copy the company file” This can happen due to various reasons, one of which is the unavailability of the required amount of storage on the computer device. Some users may panic as this problem leads to the inability to create the backup, which means the data is in transit and unsafe if anything goes wrong. If you are one of those users, do not worry, we have a way out. Other instances of the same error can be seen as- below and go through the blog to resolve the problem without losing your data.
QuickBooks Won’t Restore Backup
QuickBooks Backup Freezes
QuickBooks Backup Stuck at 99
QuickBooks Backup Error, Unable to Continue
What is Error QuickBooks Unable to Backup Company File
The “QuickBooks cannot to Backup Company File” error comes up when the QB program incurs an uninvited glitch in the backend which leads to problems in creating the backup. Users might witness such a trigger text too on their screens, “QuickBooks was unable to back up your company file. QuickBooks could not copy the company file.” In most situations, an incorrect file name or a large backup file are the factors that promote this error. Read the blog till the end to understand better.
Reason Why is QuickBooks Unable to Backup Company File?
Countless software issues may trigger the warning message “QuickBooks cannot backup company file or Backup Failed” or QuickBooks backup failed. Below you will find some of the honest explanations that cause it:
- If there is not enough storage available in the system drive.
- QB will be unable to complete the backup in one go.
- Storing the data backup in a damaged folder, or following the incorrect location to store the backup, may also lead to this problem.
- When the size of the backup data file is larger than a specified limit, that is 3GB; a user might struggle with the successful creation of the backup.
- An internal glitch in the QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- If the name of the company data file, including the extension, is more than 65 characters.
- Running an outdated version of QuickBooks.
- No special characters[!@#$%^^&/*-] in company file name.
- If the company file is located in the sever location or flash drive or remote location, Then first save the company file. in local storage, then try to create backup file.
- Don’t choose save the company file in exteneral location likewise server, flash drive etc.
- If the file is from way old version of QuickBooks, Then maybe you need to make compatible for your QuickBooks version, Then create backup.
How do i fix QuickBooks unable to backup the company file?
Now that you are aware of QuickBooks’s unable to back up company file errors and causes that may evoke the technical nuisance, let’s proceed further with the troubleshooting solutions.
Solution 1: From QuickBooks Tool Hub, Run Verify & Rebuild Data Utility
Verify and Rebuild Data Utility works together to fix data damage in the QuickBooks company file. Verify Data self-determines common issues in the QuickBooks company file.
If the error in the QuickBooks back up exists, you may see this message on the screen. “Verify has detected a problem that prevents a backup from continuing.” The issues detected by the Verify Utility get self-resolved by the Rebuild Data utility. You have to Download QuickBooks Tool Hub from the legit website of Intuit or click HERE to download it, and then run the tool to repair company file in QuickBooks and try to back up the company file.
When QuickBooks is not able to back up the company file, it may be due to a faulty backup path. Verifying the backup directory may give you a clear picture of the error.
- Navigate to Preferences section in QuickBooks.
- Now check the backup directory where you want to save your backup files.
- Check if the path is valid to create the backup files in the program.
Network Data (.ND) file help QuickBooks to access the company file over the network. Renaming the damaged .ND file may resolve QuickBooks is unable to back up the company file issue.
- Quit QuickBooks application and navigate to the network data file from Windows File Manager.
- You will see the corresponding network data file of the QuickBooks company file having .ND extension.
- Right-click the file and choose Rename from the drop-down.
- Add .OLD at the end of the file name (i.e., .ND.OLD).
Now back up your QuickBooks company file to keep it secure against the data loss threats.
NOTE: Some other QuickBooks Company File Errors you might encounter:
Verify and rebuild data is the QuickBooks internal program, which is very well-versed in resolving data integrity-related problems and is very easy to use. But throughout the verify and rebuild data process, some entries might get deleted. So copy the current company file, Paste it into a safe place, and later verify and rebuild the operation.
QuickBooks Desktop Install Diagnostic Tool is a utility that is specifically developed by Intuit to tackle issues that gets into the application during installation. For instance, if you have installed the QuickBooks Desktop application using a corrupt installer file or the application is partially installed, then QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool will automatically resolve these error for you.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop Tool Hub that you have installed earlier with solution 1.
- Now move to the Program Installation Issues tab and click QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool.
- Run the tool once it is highlighted in the application and it will automatically repair the damaged installation.
- Retry to backup the company file and check if you can now backup the company file.
Having Technical Unease to fix QuickBooks Backup Failed or Not working!
This blog was an honest and decent attempt to address the situations where QuickBooks was Unable to Backup Company File. We hope that you were able to grasp crucial knowledge from the information above and were able to apply it in such a way that it supported you in successfully creating the backup. Nevertheless, if QB continues to face this issue and fails to complete the backup, it is best to connect with one of our pro-advisors at 800-579-9430 for technical assistance.
Several reasons can cause problems when creating a backup File, and The location is inaccessible to create a backup. The company file name consists of Special characters or spaces.
It is because Your company file does have data integrity issues like incorrect entries or damaged data.