QuickBooks cannot communicate with the company file due to some reason! How to fix this company file access error? QuickBooks sometimes shows abnormal behavior due to a glitch in its code-base or due to some other technical reasons. One such erroneous situation is when – “QuickBooks cannot communicate with the company file due to firewall” You may see this error message on your screen when Firewall interrupts the Internet connection, obstructing incoming/outgoing communication to the file.
A regular user may confront this error while updating the program or operating system or while connecting to the company file saved on the network. In this blog, we will converse about the concerning error in QuickBooks while connecting with the company file and its troubleshooting procedures.
Need help for QuickBooks error: cannot communicate with the company file? Dial our QuickBooks error support number +1 800-579-9430 and get the relevant assistance from a dedicated QB expert
QuickBooks Desktop Cannot Communicate With The Company File
When QuickBooks fails to communicate with the company file or create a connection with it, the “cannot communicate with the company file” error box appears on the screen. The error message suggests that the program on the user’s computer is set up to allow shared access to the company file; despite, QuickBooks software fails to communicate with the company file for some reason.
Furthermore, the error message also suggests the cause and troubleshooting solution for the “cannot communicate with the company file” error in QuickBooks Desktop. It prompts you to configure your firewall software or download the QuickBooks Connection Diagnostic Tool for the error resolution.
Below is the list of the possible reasons that may evoke cannot communicate with the company file, QuickBooks 2021 error-
- Faulty installation or configuration of Firewall on the network.
- Lost connection to the server showing incorrect configuration settings.
- Issues with QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Missing or damaged .ND file QuickBooks uses to access a company file on the network.
- When DNS settings are not correct, you may see QuickBooks cannot communicate with the company file error message.
How To Fix QuickBooks Can’t Access Company File On Server?
Now that you are fully aware that QuickBooks cannot find company file error and its possible causes, let’s proceed toward the troubleshooting solutions. Update QuickBooks Desktop to the latest available version before getting started with the steps.
Solution 1. Updating QuickBooks to its Latest Version
With every new update, the software comes up with new features and bug fixes which automatically resolves a lot of issues. Follow the steps given below to download the update.
- On your workstation, click on the Start
- By right-clicking the company file, select Run as Administrator.
- Open QuickBooks by pressing the Ctrl
- No Company Open screen appears.
- Move to the Help menu and click Update QuickBooks Desktop.
- Next, click on the Options tab, click Mark All, and select Save.
- Move to the Update Now tab and select the Reset Update checkbox.
- Click on Get Updates to download the updates.
If the error persists after updating the software, proceed to solution 2.
Solution 2. Configure Permissions for the Company File Folder
The folder holding the company file should have permission to share the files over the network. Set the folder permissions correctly by performing the steps given below:
- Move to the folder containing the company file and right-click on it.
- Next, select Properties and choose Security.
- Click on Edit and select QBDataServiceUserXX and select Full Control.
- Choose Allow and then Apply to save the changes.
- Finally, click OK to save the changes.
Now, try to open the company file. If you still get the error, follow the next troubleshooting method.
Solution 3: Utilize QuickBooks Tool Hub to Run QFD
Download QuickBooks Tool Hub in the first place, and then run the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool. It will perform a mini repair of your firewall and server and fix common file issues in the QuickBooks Desktop. Wait for it to finish the troubleshooting and try to open the company file in QuickBooks again. If QuickBooks is still not able to access the company file on the server, then follow the next solution.
Solution 4: Check Your Firewall Settings
Intuit does not govern Firewall or anti-virus programs. You need to exclude QuickBooks from Firewall settings manually. Your Firewall may interrupt QuickBooks from connecting to the serves. Add QuickBooks as an exclusion to Firewall security and check if the error is resolved. If the QuickBooks Cannot Communicate with the Company File error continues, then jump to the next solution.
Solution 5: Confirm That QuickBooks Database Server Manager Is Running On the Server Computer
The server computer is one that stores your QuickBooks company file, whereas other systems are referred to as the workstations.
- Make sure that QuickBooks Tool Hub is installed on your server computer and then select Network Issues.
- Again, select QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Open QuickBooks Database Server Manager, and click Start Scan for the files or folder you may see on the screen. If not, browse to the location of your company file.
- Wait for the Scan process to finish, and QBDBMgrN will fix the firewall permission issues automatically.
- Close to finish the task and check if QB cannot communicate with the Company File issues is fixed.
Solution 6: Make Sure That Only Hosting Computer Has Multi-User Access Enabled
It is important that the Host Multi-User Access option should be turned off on the workstations. Only the system that stores your QuickBooks company file can host it.
- Open QuickBooks on workstations.
- Don’t open company files but, select the File menu and hover your mouse over the Utilities.
- If you see the Stop Hosting Multi-User Access option, select it.
- If you see the Host Multi-User Access option, then move to the next workstation and perform the same process for each workstation.
If QuickBooks Cannot Communicate with the Company File Error Persists!
If the error continues even after performing all the above-listed steps, then no need to worry. Dial our QuickBooks error support phone number +1 800-579-9430 and talk to an experienced QB professional. Describe the symptoms of the error, and your dedicated professional will assist you with the best course of action required to resolve QB Cannot Communicate with the company file error.