QuickBooks Error 6190 and 816 take place when two or more users attempt to open a company file in a single-user environment. A discrepancy between the transaction file and the QuickBooks company file may also lead to the QuickBooks error 6190 816. Technical issues are a standard part of the QuickBooks experience. To utilize your accounting software to its utmost efficiency, you need to deal with technical errors, whether big or small.
Stuck in QuickBooks error codes 6190 and 816 and looking for reliable help? Dial our error support number 1.800.417.5147 to get professionals available for your troubleshooting service
What are QuickBooks Error Codes 6190 and 816?
Error 6190 816 is very common in QuickBooks that you may encounter while working on QuickBooks. When the error occurs, you will see error code 6190 and 816 that says, “QuickBooks was unable to open the Company file (path) located on the host computer.” You will be prompted to close the program when the error takes place.
Users encounter QuickBooks error code 6190 when they attempt to open a company file that is logged in by another user already in the single-user mode. After receiving this error, you will need to verify whether your QB app is up-to-date. Further, renaming the network descriptor and transaction log files can help resolve the issue. We will read about these solutions in detail below. But first, let’s assess the consequences or indications of the QuickBooks error 6190 77.
Symptoms of QuickBooks Error 6190
You can identify the presence of QuickBooks error 6190 816by the following indications-
- QuickBooks error message code 6190- 816 displays on the screen, causing an active program window to crash.
- The windows performance gets lethargic, and its response becomes slow towards the inputs of the keyboard and mouse.
- Annoyingly repeated freezing of your computer.
- Error crashes your multi-user system.
- The company file doesn’t open, and multi-user mode may also show errors.
Thus, you will need to look for adequate troubleshooting methods to rectify QuickBooks error 6190 and 816. For this, you must know the causes triggering the error.
Reasons For QuickBooks Error code 6190 816
There are various reasons QuickBooks is unable to open this company file 6190 crops up while using the application. Knowing the probable cause of the error is half-part done. It makes troubleshooting a cakewalk-
- Any differences between the transaction Log file and the Company file can cause an Error.
- It can be caused due to an inappropriate update of a file on another computer where the transaction file is not updated.
- When two or more users make a simultaneous attempt to open a company file while working in the single-user environment, errors may arise.
- Data corruption is another possible reason for Error code 6190 in QuickBooks.
- Error-stricken QuickBooks program files might encounter the error.
- Damaged network data and transaction log files are the primary reasons for error 6190.
- When the company file is on the server and workstations can’t connect due to network issues, the error 6190 might flash on the screen.
- Accessing a file stored on an external storage device may lead to connectivity issues, causing QuickBooks error codes 6190 and 816.
- Malware and virus attacks can trigger these error codes.
These reasons make it easy for users to implement the relevant troubleshooting solution. So, let’s jump into the troubleshooting section and eliminate error code 6190 QuickBooks.
How do I Troubleshoot QuickBooks Error 6190?
You can fix the unsettling QuickBooks Error -6190, -816 with the help of the below-described solutions-
Method 1- Try QuickBooks File Doctor Tool for Error Fixation
QuickBooks File Doctor Tool can fix a wide range of QuickBooks file data damages and the error caused by them. Make sure that your QuickBooks Desktop is updated to the latest release and follow the below-given steps-
- Run the QuickBooks File Doctor tool.
- It is obligatory to log in as the administrator to proceed with the tool.
- Now you may choose the option Network Connectivity only or prefer the troubleshooting for Both File Damage and Network Connectivity.
- Choose the first, and the tool will detect all damaged and corrupted data files so that you can fix the error.
- Now provide your admin password when asked to do so.
- You work on Server or Workstation. Make the appropriate choice and click Proceed. Check the presence of QuickBooks error 6190, 816.
Method 2- Run QuickBooks Refresher Tool
QuickBooks Refresher tool can fix the errors that occur while opening QuickBooks company files on a Windows computer.
- Download QuickBooks Refresher Tool from Intuit’s official website.
- In the Downloads folder of your computer, find and double-click the qbrefresherv1.exe file.
- Make sure that no program is running in the background, including QuickBooks.
- Quit programs using Task Manager.
- Now follow the on-screen prompts carefully to refresh your QuickBooks Desktop application.
- Wait for the process to complete and reopen the QuickBooks Company file.
If the error 6190 in QuickBooks Desktop is not fixed after running the tool, perform the following troubleshooting steps.
Method 3- Streamline Single-User Mode
If the error is still troubling you, perform a single-user mode check.
- Ensure no user is logged in to the company file and restart the QuickBooks when confirmed.
- Now copy the Company file on your Desktop or other location where you can easily find it.
- Once again, sign in to QuickBooks and check the error 6190 QuickBooks Desktop status.
Method 4- Resolve the Discrepancy Between .QBW and .TLG file
If repairing a damaged or corrupted file is not helping you out with the error resolution, then you need to fix the data discrepancies. It is mandatory to use the same computer on which the company file is stored. Rename the files with full attention and follow the steps mentioned below:
- Go to QuickBooks and open the Folder having the QuickBooks company file.
- Choose Rename by Right-clicking on the company file from the options menu.
- Rename the corresponding Transaction Log file.
- Exit and open QuickBooks again.
- Login to the Company files and see if you’re getting error code 6190 QuickBooks.
Method 5- Get the latest update of QuickBooks
If you’re experiencing an Error, an outdated QuickBooks application might be the reason behind the error. Don’t forget to update the QuickBooks. Here’re the steps to download the update:
- Exit QuickBooks.
- Locate the QuickBooks desktop icon and right-click on it.
- Then, choose the Run as Administrator.
- When the No Company Open window appears, click on the Help
- Select the Update QuickBooks option.
- After that, proceed to the Options tab and select Mark All.
- Click on Save.
- Move to the Update Now tab and checkmark the Reset Update
- Last, click on the Get Updates button to start the download.
If you are still getting error 6190 QuickBooks, try the following troubleshooting method.
Method 6- Upgrade your Windows Operating System
The update comes with various bug fixes and often fixes most installation errors.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Install the latest Windows Updates.
- Reboot the system after updating.
- Reinstall the QuickBooks software application.
Method 7: Terminate all QuickBooks Processes
Here, in this additional method, we will ask you to perform an inconsiderable solution by many experts. But sometimes it brings luck to resolve Errors quickly, and the steps are mentioned below
- Login into the server computer with full admin credentials.
- Next, press the Ctrl + Shift and ESC buttons to launch the task manager.
- There, In the Process tab, Select each process of QuickBooks and Terminate them.
- Restart the server and Start the QuickBooks server as usual.
- At last, Ask the users to open the company file.
Method 8: Use Quick Fix My Program
You’ll find the Quick Fix My Program utility in QuickBooks Tool Hub. When you’re getting error message 6190 816, performance lags and sluggish QB behavior might trouble you extensively. In such cases, you need a repair tool to fix the frequent crashes and freezes. Here’s how you can use the utility:
- First, download QuickBooks Tool Hub from the official Intuit website on your device.
- Save the installer package of the tool hub to an easy-to-access location.
- Next, go to the same place and extract the installation file.
- Double-tap the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file to start installing.
- Various pop-ups will appear on the screen. Read and respond accordingly.
- After agreeing to the terms and conditions, install the tool hub completely and set it up correctly.
- Now, you can use it to rectify various errors. For error 6190, access the Program Problems section.
- Choose Quick Fix My Program from here and resolve the errors.
If the performance issues get fixed, but you still get error 6190 816, consider the following troubleshooting method.
Method 9: Move QB Company File to Local Storage
If your company file is stored on an external hard drive, cloud, or server, QuickBooks won’t be able to access it and will throw error 6190 816. Prevent this by moving the files to local storage as follows:
- Begin by copying your files from the server computer and pasting them to external storage like USB.
- Next, go to the workstation and insert your company file’s USB.
- Copy the files from the USB and paste them on the workstation computer.
- Now, launch QuickBooks Desktop on the workstation and see if the company file opens here.
Method 10: Fix the Windows Registry Files
Another method you can employ when QuickBooks error 6190 816 doesn’t leave you deals with repairing the Windows registry files. You can do so as follows:
- Go to the Start menu and type cmd to get the Command Prompt app in the search results.
- Now, open it with administrator rights. To do so, you have two alternatives:
- Right-click the Command Prompt icon and opt for the option Run as administrator.
- Or press Ctrl + Shift and then double-click Command Prompt. If the admin credentials are asked, fill them in the spaces.
- After the command prompt box opens, it will be blank and black with a flashing cursor. Type regedit here and hit enter.
- Tap the key linked with the error and press Enter.
- Now, go to the Export tab.
- Press save and let the file store with the .reg extension.
- Manage the on-screen instructions to finish the procedure of fixing registry files.
Method 11: Clear the junk files to fix QuickBooks error 6190
If you have temporary files and folders and a massive junk file size on the system, delete it to let the system run smoothly. Do so as follows:
- Begin by launching the Run Window either through the shortcut Windows + R or Start menu.
- Type cleanmgr in the Run dialog box and press Enter.
- You will get a disk cleanup window on the screen. Choose the junk files you wish to remove and click OK.
Method 12: Use QuickBooks Database Server Manager
The QuickBooks database server manager can help you fix network issues and connectivity between server and client workstations in the multi-user mode. When error 6190 816 strikes, consider using this utility from the tool hub.
- Download, install, and set up QuickBooks Tool Hub on the device.
- Move to the Network Issues tab in the tool hub.
- Choose the QuickBooks Database Server Manager tool.
- Begin scanning and repairing the system and connectivity through this utility.
Method 13: Undertake to restore the system
The system restoration procedure takes you to an earlier version of your Windows. It is useful when any recent changes cause QuickBooks error 6190 to arise. You can implement system restoration as follows:
- You need to go to the Start menu by either pressing the Windows icon on the keyboard or through the option on the desktop.
- Here, type system restore to search for it.
- Hit Enter and let the system restore tool open.
- Execute the on-screen process and enter your admin password if prompted.
- The restoration procedure will begin and end within a few minutes.
- Lastly, you can restart your system and open QuickBooks to check the errors.
Method 14: Undertake System File Checker Scan
Let the system file checker scan detect, and diagnose your system files for any errors, corruption, or damage. Here are the steps to take for the same:
- Search for the command prompt window using the Start menu.
- You need to run the app as an administrator when the results appear. So, either right-click and choose the Run as administrator option. Or press Ctrl + Shift, then double-tap the Command Prompt icon. Enter the admin credentials if asked.
- In the command prompt window, you will find a blank window of black color and a twinkling cursor. Type SFC/Scannow here.
- Now, let the system file checker scan the files and repair any issues in the system.
Method 15: Reinstall QuickBooks in Selective Startup
If no solution works to rectify error 6190, uninstall and reinstall QuickBooks in selective startup. First, take the backup of your QB files to prevent data loss. Then, note down the product information for later use from QB Product Information Window (F2 or Ctrl + 1). Then, take the following steps:
- Launch the Run window, type msconfig, and press Enter.
- Next, switch to selective startup mode from the general tab and choose the Load System Services option.
- Further, check the Hide all Microsoft Services box. Locate Windows Installer on the list and tap it.
- Now, uncheck this option, then move to restart the device from the system configuration window.
- Once the restart is over, you will reach the selective startup mode.
- Initiate uninstalling QuickBooks Desktop from the Control Panel.
- Choose the Programs and Features section, followed by Uninstall a Program and QuickBooks Desktop from the list.
- Follow the on-screen pop-ups and finish uninstalling the program.
- Now, reinstall it from authentic sources without interruptions.
- After this procedure, return to the normal mode by launching the Run window and running the msconfig command.
- Choose to switch to the normal mode in the general tab and restart the system.
Still Facing QuickBooks error code 6190 816
I believe almost all users have mended the multi-user error 6190 816 successfully. However, if there is any doubt or difficulties while discerning the above-written solutions about fixing QuickBooks Error 6190 and 816, in that case, call the QuickBooks Data Service team. To reach out to the QuickBooks data service team, feel free to step ahead and Dial our Toll-Free Helpline Number 1.800.417.5147.
Yes, you can restart your server and workstations after you receive the error 6190 816 while accessing the company file. Sometimes, this issue emerges out of nowhere without any solid reason. Thus, restarting can help fix those problems.
Check the root cause of QuickBooks error 6190 816. Suppose you’re getting it because your system’s firewall or anti-virus application is blocking QuickBooks connectivity or a virus or malware has triggered the problem. In that case, you’ll need to take the following actions:
1. Configure your system’s firewall and port settings and add them as an exception to resolve the blockage caused by the error.
2. Let your anti-virus run in-depth to stop viruses or malware infections from ruining your files and system.
Most likely, these troubleshooting solutions can fix your problem. If not, you must contact a QuickBooks specialist and let them take over.