QuickBooks error 6189 816 is a daunting technical error that arrives when you try to access your financial data through the company file. Getting obstructions while working can be frustrating. However, this guide breaks down the steps, reasons, and symptoms in an easy-to-understand manner to rectify the issue quickly and resume working.
You may be unable to open your company file when QuickBooks error code 6189 arrives. You will see an error message on your screen immediately then the error arises, blocking you from an ongoing task. In this blog, we will see possible causes and symptoms for this QuickBooks error code and how you can troubleshoot the error in the least possible time.
No luck while rectifying the QuickBooks company file error 6189 – 816? Dial our QuickBooks error support helpline number +1 800.417.5147 for immediate removal of the error code.
What is QuickBooks Error 6189?
QuickBooks Error 6189 and 816 emerge when an issue appears in the multi-user network and not in the data file. You will need to get your multi-user network up and running. This runtime error occurs when you use QB Desktop or open a company file in this mode. The error message accompanying QuickBooks error 6189, 816 states:
“An error occurred when QuickBooks tried to access the company file (-6189, -816).”
Along with the warning message, there’s a description that says the following:
“QuickBooks is unable to open this company file. It may have been opened by another user. You should ask that user to switch to multi-user mode so you can both use the company file at the same time. The file could also be located in a read-only network folder. If it is, ask your system administrator to make the file accessible.”
Troubleshooting QuickBooks error code 6189 and 816 is simple, and you can configure the multi-user network and supporting components to eliminate the issue. But first, let’s know the reasons behind the problem.
Why does QuickBooks Error 6189 816 arise?
While working on the software, you may observe various causes behind the QuickBooks error 6189 – 816. Check the below-given list with the utmost attention as it may help you during the error-resolution process-
- Another user may be simultaneously utilizing the company file in single-user mode, causing the error.
- A damaged or corrupt Windows registry can lead to error code 6189 QuickBooks.
- Accessibility issues of a company file or folder due to damaged file, location, or path used in accessing the company file
- Utilization of a company file on a network computer is in progress by another program.
- Damaged .ND file essential for QuickBooks to access a company file over the network
- If QuickBooks processes are not working correctly, QuickBooks error 6189 and 816 may crop up.
- Missing or corrupt QuickBooks Company Log Files may also evoke this QuickBooks Desktop error.
- An incomplete QuickBooks installation can result in this error.
- Not having read or write permissions to access a file can lead to this error.
- Viruses and malware attacks also cause corrupted QB files, leading to error 6189 in QuickBooks Desktop.
- Incorrect entries in the Windows registry due to improper QB Installation can be the culprit for the error.
- If your Windows OS is old or you are using a pirated version, errors will emerge.
- When essential drivers required to run QB get deleted accidentally, error 6189 might occur.
- Incorrectly configured hosting settings may be responsible for error 6189 QuickBooks Desktop.
Now that the reasons are clear let’s move on to the signs of this error.
Signs of QuickBooks Error 6189 816
You may experience the below-given symptoms when QuickBooks error code 6189 and 816 take place.
- QuickBooks Error code 6189 and 816 appear on the screen, suggesting more about the error.
- The company file access gets hurdled by the error code.
- Immediate crash in an active program window
- Frequent crashes in the PC due to the QuickBooks errors 816
- Sluggish performance of the Windows
- There’s no connectivity between the data file and the QuickBooks program.
- You may get the incorrect file message when you open the company file in an updated QB version.
After seeing the error description, causes, and symptoms of this QB error 6189, let’s see the troubleshooting solutions-
Ways to fix QuickBooks Error 6189 816 Swiftly
Here are the troubleshooting steps you must take to rectify error 6189 816 QuickBooks Desktop:
Solution 1: Switch To Multi-user Mode
QuickBooks error 6189 and 816 may arise when you try to access the company file from a host server or network in single-user mode. In this case, you need to enable the multi-user mode so that you may access the company file over the network. Then, run a scan to repair the firewall permissions so QuickBooks can communicate over the network. Now you may open QuickBooks in multi-user mode from your workstation.
Solution 2: Repair Network Data File
Network Data (.ND) files are critical for QuickBooks to access a company file over the network. If .ND file is damaged, incorrect, or missing; then, you may get a QuickBooks company file access error.
Search .ND file in the computer that contains the QuickBooks company (.QBW) file.
Rename the file from Companyfile.nd to Companyfile.ndold
Solution 3: Re-install QuickBooks by Making Use of the QuickBooks Clean Install Tool
QuickBooks Clean Install Tool can fix the corrupt or incomplete installation of the QuickBooks Desktop. Use it if you’re getting error code 6189 QuickBooks:
- Un-install QuickBooks Desktop software
- Download and run QuickBooks Clean Install Tool
- Rename QuickBooks installation folders manually or using the tool
- Now download and install QuickBooks Desktop
Is QuickBooks error 6189 and 816 now resolved? If not, follow the next solution.
Solution 4: Open QuickBooks from a Different Location
If nothing works to resolve the situation when you are getting error 6189 816 QuickBooks, try to open your company file from a different location.
- Leave QuickBooks before you get started with the troubleshooting.
- Now go to your Desktop.
- Right-click and choose Folder from New.
- Create a new folder and name it a QuickBooks company file.
- Now open the folder containing the Company file.
- Copy the file and move it to the folder you have created on your Desktop.
- Try to open the company file from its new location.
This solution can tame the perplexing QuickBooks error 816.
Solution 5: Utilize QuickBooks Tool Hub to fix QuickBooks error 6189
QuickBooks tool Hub is popular for fixing common errors, including QB error 6189. Download the Tool Hub installation file (QuickBooksToolHub.exe) from the official source and save the file in an easy-to-find location. When you open the downloaded file, attend to all the instructions on the screen for installation. Double-click the QB icon that appears on the desktop and start using it. QB Tool Hub offers features like Quick Fix My Program, QFD (File Doctor) Tool, and Clean Install to identify, fix, and resolve company issues, network errors, and more like 6189 error code.
Use Quick Fix My Program
To use Quick Fix My Program:
- Open the QB Tool Hub.
- Move to the Program Problems tab.
- Choose Quick Fix My Program.
- Start QuickBooks Desktop and launch your data file.
Run QuickBooks Database Server Manager
Your QuickBooks company files get saved on the server computer. You can keep your multi-user network stable with QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Open your QB Tool Hub and choose xthe Network Issues option. Select QuickBooks Database Server Manager, and you’ll receive a prompt to install QuickBooks on your server when it hasn’t already.
- Tap the Start Scan option if your company files are visible. If you don’t see your company files, choose the Browse option and visit the company file location. Now, tap Start Scan.
- Your firewall permissions will get repaired automatically with QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Tap Close.
- Launch QuickBooks Desktop on the server computer and then your workstations.
Operate QuickBooks File Doctor
Use the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool from the Tool Hub if your company file has is damaged. Do so as follows:
- Open the QB Tool Hub and move to the Company File Issues tab.
- Select QuickBooks File Doctor.
- Find the affected company file and let the process diagnose and repair the problems.
Solution 6: Transfer your company files to a local hard drive
If your company files (QBW) are stored on a removable or online drive, you should move them to the local hard drive. Keep the following best practices in mind while you are getting error message 6189 816:
- Save your QuickBooks files, including the company files, on the hard drive of the server computer. Online files hosting services like Dropbox, Box.net, and Google Drive offer conveniences. However, they can result in glitches.
- You should not encrypt your QuickBooks files or the hard drive where they are stored. It can lead to blocking your multi-user network connection.
- Further, you should not store your files on removable or external drives. QuickBooks or multi-user networks will not run if they are on external hard drives, USB flash drives, and Network Attached Storage (NAS) Devices.
Now that you know what to keep in mind, take the following actions to rectify the error:
- Begin by connecting the external device, USB, or flash drive that contains your company file to the server computer.
- Copy the company file from the USB and store it in the local storage. You need to paste it into the local C drive.
- Now, press and hold the Ctrl key and then open QuickBooks.
- Keep the Ctrl key pressed until the No Company Open screen emerges.
- Choose Open or Restore Company.
- Search for your company files and choose the ones saved on the desktop. See if problem 6189 816 disappears.
Solution 7: Start all your computers and servers again
When your entire system needs a reset, you need to restart everything. Follow the steps in sequence. However, before that, you must consider the following crucial points:
- If you use QuickBooks Enterprise Hosting in place of a server computer, contact QB experts through chat so that they can help restart the service.
- Contact any affiliate Intuit Hosting Providers or another online service to host your company files and assist in restarting the service.
Now, take the following steps:
- First, restart your server computer that hosts the company files.
- Then, restart every workstation, which are other computers connected to the network but don’t host the company files.
- Next, access QuickBooks Desktop on the server computer.
- Finally, open your QB Desktop on every workstation.
You should be able to open QuickBooks and access your company file without errors. However, if that’s not the case, move to the following solution.
Solution 8: Provide adequate folder access permissions to Windows users
You can use the multi-user feature if you have adequate access permissions. So, you need to offer Full Control through the following steps:
- Go to the folder where your company files are saved.
- Right-click this folder and hit the Properties option.
- Now, head to the Security tab and select Edit.
- Choose QB Data Service User, followed by clicking Full Control and Allow.
- Tap Apply and OK to confirm these alterations.
Solution 9: Reverse the encryption of QuickBooks Files
If you have encrypted your QuickBooks files, QuickBooks won’t be able to read the data file. You may have used encryption software on Windows. In such cases, the solution is to decrypt the files to the same format they were before. It should be compatible with the QuickBooks application for opening. Try opening it after decoding and see if you can do so error-free and seamlessly. If not, the problem may be something else.
Solution 10: Repair Registry issues, viruses, and malware attacks
You may have incorrect entries in the Windows registry due to improper QB installation. Further, they may be corrupt or damaged for any reason. In such cases, you need to repair these problems as quickly as possible.
Moreover, if your system is suffering from virus or malware infections, you need to invest in in-depth scans and reliable third-party anti-viruses. They will help fix any corruption or damage caused by these unwanted things. However, you may need to contact an expert if the virus attacks do not stop with the anti-virus application.
Solution 11: Start the QuickBooks Database Server Again
You may need to restart your QuickBooks Database Service as follows:
- Type services.msc in Run Window, which you can access by pressing Windows and R keys together on the keyboard.
- Then, look for QuickBooksDBXX in the list of services.
- Select QuickBooksDBXX and tap the Start button on the left panel to begin.
- Use the QuickBooks application again and see if the error appears.
Still Struggling to fix QuickBooks error 6189?
After performing the troubleshooting solutions discussed in this blog, you may get a QuickBooks error message code. For all the technical difficulties while trying the steps, you can dial our QuickBooks error support phone number 1.800.417.5147. Our tech geeks will assist you in a hassle-free manner until the QuickBooks error 6189 816 is removed.
The QuickBooks enterprise error 6189 gives a warning with the error message while trying to access the company file. The content of error codes 6189 and 816 include:
“QuickBooks cannot open the company file. The reason may be that another user has opened the file. We suggest asking the user to switch to multi-user mode so both users can work on the file simultaneously. Maybe the file is in a read-only network folder. In such a case, you need to ask the system administrator to make the file accessible.”
You will know the presence of QuickBooks error 6189 816 affecting your program when you experience the following signs:
1. Constant system crashes can be a cause of the error.
2. The system may hang for a few minutes.
3. The warning message may flash on the screen showing the error.
4. Sluggish system performance.
1. Sync your QB files with the system’s hard drive.
2. Change the name of your QuickBooks Installation Files.
3. Edit the Firewall permissions and allow QuickBooks as an exception.
4. Update your QuickBooks Desktop to the latest release.
5. Resolve any issues with your Windows drivers.
6. Start your server again with the Windows admin credentials.
7. Delete your Network Descriptor File.
You should download the QuickBooks Refresher Tool from the official website. Save this package to an easily accessible location. Now, go and double-tap the .exe file to begin installing the tool on the system. Agree to all the prompts that appear on the screen and finish the installation successfully. Now, open and start using the QuickBooks Refresher Tool.
QuickBooks error 6189 816 can arise because of a damaged database server, incorrectly managed firewall, corrupt Windows registry, insufficient permissions to access files, etc.