Troubled with QuickBooks Error 6144 82 continuously flashing on your screen? Read this guide till the end to find out what this error is about, how it occurs, and practices to fix it effectively.
QuickBooks 6144 82 and error 6144 301 are triggered due to a partial installation of QuickBooks. Also, damage or corruption incurred in one or more than one of the vital QB files can provoke the same. It is instead an infuriating error as it completely disrupts the business operations, and the user is unable to carry out any task until such an error goes away. So, look at the blog below to better understand the intensity of the problem.
Can’t retrieve your financial information due to QB error 6144 82? Get all your answers on our QuickBooks error support helpline at 1.800.417.5147
Related article to read — How to resolve QuickBooks error 6000 832
What does QuickBooks Error Code 6144 82 Mean?
“QuickBooks has encountered a problem and needs to close.” If this is the message flashing on your screen, you have fallen victim to QuickBooks Error code 6144 82. This technical hiccup occurs in the program due to misconfiguration in the network setup settings. Some users have also faced this problem, while another tried accessing the company file on a different device. This blog will help you undo the error to complete unfinished business.
QuickBooks error 6144 and 301 appears while accessing the company file or restoring the backup. It may emerge due to a damaged file. The error message accompanying this code states:
“Error Code 6144 301: Unable to open the company file
Error 6144 301: Unable to restore a backup”
Because of these errors, users can face considerable troubles. Since the company file doesn’t open correctly, it becomes challenging to continue routine operations. It can lead to delays in productivity. Inconsistencies in the Windows registry can bring forth this problem. However, it is not the only cause. Let’s consider the reasons in detail and understand how to resolve QuickBooks error code 6144 82.
Causes of the occurrence of QuickBooks Error Code 6144 82
The QuickBooks error 6144 304 may arise due to a multitude of reasons. Here are some of the most commonly seen factors that are responsible for the error to strike –
- Downloading and installing QB from an untrusted or malicious web link.
- Damage in the installation file may also trigger Error 6144 82 QuickBooks.
- Corrupted entries are recorded in the Windows Registry.
- Presence of malware or a virus in the computer device.
- If the multi-user network is not set up correctly.
- Damage in the QuickBooks component files – Network Data file and the Transaction Log file can evoke QuickBooks error message 6144 82.
- The firewall of the system causes interruptions.
- If more than one application is running on the device, it can disrupt QB activities.
- When an unfamiliar user deletes crucial QB files, it may result in getting error 6144 82.
- User permissions to share the company file might not be available.
- The company file name might be extensive.
- There may be data loss due to a damaged hard drive or computer RAM.
- A change in the location of the company file can trigger QuickBooks error code 6144 83.
Users need to quickly identify the problem in their system so troubleshooting methods can be applied accordingly. Now, before we proceed with the resolution, let’s consider the consequences of this error code.
Signs displayed by QuickBooks Error Code 6144 83
A user is able to identify a bug in their device when they notice malfunctioning activities in all the running programs. These are some standard symptoms that will help in confirming you’re getting error code 6144 82 –
- Both QuickBooks and Windows may stop responding to mouse clicks and keyboard taps.
- QB may display a glitchy or blank white screen.
- The application’s performance may start falling and eventually freeze on the screen.
- A user might be unable to click on the tabs in the software.
- Inability to move ahead to any other page or program.
- The PC suddenly shuts down to prevent damage to the device.
- You may be getting error message 6144 82 QuickBooks when the error strikes the system.
- Active programs on the Window might crash suddenly.
- You may be unable to restore your backup files.
- Company files become inaccessible.
These harsh consequences of QuickBooks 6144 82 need to be curbed as soon as possible. So, let’s lay into the troubleshooting methods available to rectify this error.
Swift Rectification Methods for QuickBooks Error 6144 82
If you are looking for technical assistance that will help you to resolve Error 6144, So you must look at the below-written methods, which are solely determined to help QuickBooks users in fixing QuickBooks Error 6144 82:
Method 1: Quick Fix my QB Program Tool
Quick Fix my program is a utility that comes with QuickBooks Tool Hub, and Quick fix my program is a tool that is designed to resolve a wide range of QB errors and troubleshoot using Quick Fix My Program that our experts have mentioned below.
- Visit Intuit and search for QuickBooks Tool Hub, then Download it.
- Next, Install the adequately downloaded QBToolHub.exe file.
- Launch the QuickBooks Tool Hub, and In Tool Hub, select the Program issue option.
- At last, click on the Quick Fix my program tab to run it.
Method 2: Utilize the Error Repair Tool for Windows to Fix the Error
Download the Windows Repair Tool and fix all your worries, like error code 6144 82 QuickBooks Desktop, by running it.
- Visit the authoritative site where you can download the windows error repair tool and start the download.
- Once the download is finished, get it installed and proceed further.
- Now launch the tool and click Scan to detect the issues causing QuickBooks error 6144 82.
- Now, you can fix all the detected errors with a single click on the Repair All option.
Method 3: Rename the Configuration Files having .ND & .TLG Extensions
Your crucial QuickBooks files with .ND and .TLG extensions might require fixing if they get corrupted. Usually, modifying their name pushes QB to create new files that are error-free. The steps to undertake this solution are as follows:
- Go to the folder accommodating your QuickBooks company file.
- Find the corresponding files to .QBW with extensions .ND & .TLG.
- Right-click on the file and choose Rename
- Add “old” at the end of the file name after .ND.
- Again, perform the same steps for .TLG.OLD)
- Press Enter to save the changes you have made.
These steps can fix the corruption in the configuration file that has caused the error.
Method 4: Repair Windows Registry
An erroneous change in QuickBooks can lead to corruption in the window registry. Therefore, perform a repair for your windows registry that can troubleshoot QuickBooks error 6144 82. In your Registry Editor, select “Error 6144 82 and create a backup of the registry entry related to QuickBooks. If this solution doesn’t work, then move to the next.
Method 5: Run a virus clean-up program on your PC
Running a virus clean on your system can eliminate any infection caused due to the virus or malware. Download the tool on your system, and launch it to scan the errors. Once you have identified the issues, repair them using the downloaded tool. Make sure to download the tool from a legit source. Again, check the status of QuickBooks error 1644 82. Alternatively, you can look for the Windows Update and install it if available. Also, a clean installation of the window can be helpful in the error resolution.
Related article to read — Best ever solutions to fix QuickBooks error 6150
An Optimal Method To Fix QuickBooks Error 6144 and 301
Here are other optimal fixes when you are getting error 6144 82 QuickBooks:
Method 1: Grant Users Admin Level Permission on Windows
Grant users different levels of permissions required to manage their business accounting. Sometimes, the QuickBooks error code 6144 and 301 occurs as the user does not have the required permission to access a company file. However, defining users’ roles and responsibilities can keep technical errors at bay.
- From the Company Tab, click Users, and this action will enable you to set up Users & Roles in QuickBooks.
- Manage their roles after logging in using your login credentials.
Method 2: Run Windows System File Checker
Corruption in Windows system files can lead to you getting error 6144 82 QuickBooks. You can run a system file checker that scans and resolves this corruption. Use it as follows:
- Type cmd in the Start menu search bar, but do not press Enter yet.
- Now, hold Ctrl and Shift keys simultaneously and then hit Enter.
- When a permission dialog box appears, choose Yes to get a black screen with a blinking cursor.
- Here, type SFC/scannow and press Enter to get the System File Checker running.
- It will diagnose the system file issues within a few minutes. Follow the instructions on the screen and let this process finish and give smooth results.
Method 3: Set User Roles and Permissions
Launch QuickBooks and move to the Company Tab. Here, search for Users and click the Setup Users and Roles option. Enter your password to access the information and select the username from the list. Now, according to the specification, you can modify the role.
Method 4: Use QuickBooks Database Server Manager
You’ll need to download QuickBooks Tool Hub to access the database server manager utility. It will help you fix problems related to network connectivity and multi-user mode. Here are the steps you need to take to resolve these errors:
- Access the QuickBooks Tool Hub by downloading it from the official Intuit website.
- Let the download package save to an easy-to-access location.
- Once saved, go to this location, locate the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file, and double-tap it.
- Run the installation prompts, agree to the terms and conditions, and install it successfully.
- Once done, open QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Go to the Network issues section in the tool hub.
- Here, you’ll find the QuickBooks Database Server Manager utility.
- Click it and let it fix the network errors and problems in multi-user connections.
Method 5: Use QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery Tool
QuickBooks offers another excellent utility called Auto Data Recovery to use in data loss or corruption cases. It helps recover all or primarily all data. Although this utility is helpful, you need to ensure that you use it only after employing all the troubleshooting methods. ADR helps recover lost files in the following ways:
- You can restore the lost transactions using the current Transaction Log File and a copy of the company file.
- Use a copy of both the company file and the Transaction Log File to restore all but the last few hours of your transactions.
Here’s how you can recover your transactions:
Recovering Recent Transactions Through the original .TLG and .QBW.adr file
You can use the original TLG file and ADR version of the company file to recover all your recent transactions:
- Form a new folder on your desktop and name it QBTest.
- Go to the location where you have saved your company file.
- Find the .tlg file in the company file folder. The name will be the same as your company file. You may need to follow the steps to show full extensions.
- Right-click and copy the corresponding .tlg file and paste it into the QBTest folder.
- Go to the QBAutoDataRecovery folder. You’ll find it in the same location as your company file.
- Copy the .QBW.adr file from here and paste it to the QBTest folder. Now you will have both .tlg and QBW.adr files in your QBTest folder.
- In this folder, right-click the QBW.adr file and choose to Rename it.
- Now, delete the adr at the end of this file and save the modification.
- Next, launch the QB application.
- Open the company file saved in the QBTest folder. Verify that you have all transactions there through the account register.
- Now, go to the File menu, followed by Utilities and Verify Data. It will check the integrity of the data in the recovered file.
- If this company file copy is perfect, you can transfer the damaged company file to another location. Finally, transfer this copy of the company file from QBTest to the original location.
Recovering Recent Transactions through .QBW.adr and .tlg.adr files
You need to follow similar steps to recover all transactions except the last few hours using the copies of the company and tlg files. In the third step given above, look for both .tlg.adr and .qbw.adr files to undertake this resolution. After implementing this method and rectifying your problem, you’ll be good to go.
Still Facing Issues with QuickBooks error 6144 82 or 6144 301
QuickBooks Error 6144 82 cannot turn into a nightmare if it is solved at the right time and with the proper guidance. That is why we curated the above blog intending to share some essential and lesser-known facts about the error that will help you eliminate the same seamlessly. But, if you have thoroughly followed all the prescribed troubleshooting and still struggle with the error, the last resort is to connect with an expert over the call. Contact one of ours at 800-579-9430.
You can form the backup files by opening the File menu and selecting the Switch-user mode. Next, from the File menu, hit the backup company file option. Try to create a local company backup file. Choose this option “Local Backup File”> Next > OK to complete the procedure.
Yes, you can reinstall QB Desktop for error 6144 82 resolution. If the QB File Doctor tool and other methods aren’t working, create a backup of company files in the storage systems and conduct reinstallation.
Yes, you need to consider the following things when you use the QB ADR method to fix error 6144 82:
1. The ADR tool is only available if you use QuickBooks Pro, Premier, and Enterprise editions for Windows.
2. The Accountant editions don’t have this utility.
3. QuickBooks cannot generate an ADR file if the file size limitation of 1.5 Gigabytes is exceeded. Your backup should be restricted to this number.
4. To access this feature, your QuickBooks Desktop should always be updated to the latest release.
You can use the QuickBooks File Doctor tool, available in the Company File issues section, to fix QuickBooks error 6144 301. You can choose it, browse the company file, select it, and start scanning. It will diagnose and repair any problems with the company file. The File Doctor Tool can be excellent in fixing corrupt company files. It will make the files accessible and completely functional.