Encountering QuickBooks already has a company file open error while accessing a file in multi-user mode can frustrate a user. If you’re facing troubles due to this issue, find effective resolutions and more details about the error in this comprehensive guide.
QuickBooks company file is use by another application Error message appears when you try to open a company file in multi-user mode, and the company file is in use by another application or user. When the error occurs, you may see any of the error messages on your screen- “Waiting for the company file” “Company File in Use- Please Wait”
Fret not! If QuickBooks company file in use message is troubling you, then the issue can be resolved by following some handy troubleshooting procedures. Get to know more about the company file in use prompt and find the best troubleshooting solutions by reading this post until the end.
QuickBooks encountered a problem when opening the company file? Dial our QuickBooks support phone number 1.800.579.9430 to get troubleshooting assistance from QB experts
What Does Company File In Use QuickBooks Issue Signify?
You can set up multi-user mode and work with multiple users on the same company file simultaneously. You may grant users with different permissions level to view, access, or edit the files. However, if the hosting set up is not appropriate, QuickBooks cannot open company files in multi-user mode. Furthermore, when a user is not provided with the access rights, Won’t open company file in QB to ensure the utmost security. You may see various instances of Company file in use error as listed below-
- Company File in use. Please wait.
- Another QuickBooks user is performing a task that must finish before you can continue.
- Cannot close this company file at this moment because another application is using it.
QuickBooks Won’t Open Company File Error : Possible Causes
QuickBooks says the file is already open when any of the following things happen-
- Improper multi-hosting setup on the server and workstation in the network
- QuickBooks Database Server Manager not running on the system
- Company file is already used by another user
In any of the given conditions, you may see the company file in-use QuickBooks message prompt on your screen while accessing a company file.
How to Resolve “QuickBooks Company File in Use, Please Wait” Error?
If QuickBooks company file in use unknown user is not responding while accessing, you can follow the below-explained troubleshooting solutions:
Note- Sign in with an Admin Account on Windows and grant users with the access permissions.
Solution 1: Check If the Hosting Is Setup Correctly On Each Workstation
If more than one system on the server is hosting the company file, QuickBooks already has a file open issue arrives. To resolve this issue, you need to manually check hosting. You can check the indicators for the error-
- Host Multi-User Access: Hosting is off and You can go to the next computer.
- Stop Hosting Multi-User Access: If you see this option in Utilities, then the workstation is hosting the company file, and you have to turn the hosting off.
If you are still getting the QuickBooks company file in use error, then move to the next solution.
Solution 2: Update QuickBooks on Server & Workstation
Update QuickBooks Desktop to the latest maintenance both on server and terminal workstations. Updating QB can help you to access the company file while you are experiencing can’t open QuickBooks already has a company file open error.
Solution 3: Run QuickBooks Database Server Manager
QuickBooks Database Server Manager helps you share your company file with other workstations over the network. If this service is not running on the server, you may not be able the file from the hosting computer.
- Right-click the taskbar and select Start Task Manager
- Navigate to the Processes tab to locate and right-click QuickBooks DBXX (where XX depicts the version of your QuickBooks Desktop)
- Select End Process
- Click Yes to confirm the changes
if QuickBooks encountered a problem when opening the company file error persists, then try the next solution.
Solution 4: Sign out the user causing the error
If you receive errors stating an unknown QuickBooks account was used to access the file, it’s critical to remove them from the site. It will help uproot the source and fix the issue. If the specific user isn’t working in QB, simply sign them out as follows:
- Ask this user to close and open QuickBooks again on their device.
- Now, open QuickBooks on any other PC and hover over the Company menu. There, choose the Users tab > select View Users.
- Sign out the user causing the issue from their respective workstation.
Now when you open the Users list, hopefully, you won’t notice any specific user signed in. Verify if this resolves your issue.
Getting the Same Error Again!
If you are getting the same company File in use QuickBooks error even after performing the troubleshooting procedures, then ask an expert, how to fix it. Dial our QB support helpline number 1.800.579.9430 and get assisted in no time in fixing the QB Desktop already has a company file open 2018.
Yes, you can utilize QuickBooks Tool Hub to resolve the QuickBooks company file in use error. After downloading it from official sources, finish the installation by accepting the terms and conditions. Now launch the QuickBooks Tool Hub and select the Program Problems tab. Run every tool one by one in this menu to recognize and rectify this problem.
No, you can get this error in both single and multi-user modes. When it happens, do the following things:
1. Manage the computers to fix the QuickBooks performance problems.
2. Properly handling the data files can also help manage QuickBooks’ performance.