QuickBooks error 80070057 is the issue related to the company file, which begins when the user tries to open the company file. QuickBooks users enjoy many features to manage their accounting and bookkeeping needs efficiently, all run by the company file stored on the server system. Hence, when the users cannot access the company files, everything comes to a standstill point. During the error 80070057, an error message appears on the screen stating that the parameter is incorrect. More on the error is given in the blog below. Read it till the end.
On a different note, if you need urgent assistance resolving Error 80070057 QuickBooks, call the toll-free number 1.800.579.9430 and get a QB expert on the line to address your grievances.
What is QuickBooks Error 80070057?
QuickBooks error code 80070057 appears when users attempt to open their company files. It emerges with an error message that says the parameter is incorrect. You can see the error while working on Windows programs. It usually arises because the program data is saved on an external storage device. Therefore, you may not have adequate permissions to access it.
Other reasons for error code 80070057 QuickBooks include corrupted Windows drivers, viruses, sudden power shutdowns, damaged Windows files, etc. Further, accessing the file on a different machine on the network can also be troublesome with this error. Not having the opening, accessing, reading, and writing permissions on a file can lead to this issue. So let’s look into the other triggers of this error so that we can troubleshoot it correctly.
Triggers for QuickBooks Error code 80070057
Take a look at the root causes of the QuickBooks cannot open the company file QuickBooks error code 80070057.
- The user is not opening the company file properly.
- The QuickBooks application on the workstation is not updated to its latest release.
- The user needs admin rights of the computer to access the company file.
- The company file is not in its original location.
- The data file or network data file is damaged or corrupted.
- A recent change in the company file extension can attract error 80070057 QuickBooks.
- If QuickBooks is not installed correctly on the system, you’ll get error 80070057.
- Accessing a portable file without opening QB may also cause this issue.
- An error can emerge when the firewall and internet security settings are incorrect.
- The error may arise if the file extensions are faulty, like .qbm, .qbb, .qbx, etc.
- Improper third-party app configurations are promoters of the error.
- Insufficient permissions to access the shared folder and open, create, use, or delete a file may lead to this error.
- Antivirus apps may cause blockages in QB connection, leading to the error.
- When the company file is stored on an external storage device like a USB, it may cause error 80070057 QuickBooks Desktop to emerge.
Thus, you’ll need to overcome the error if any of these causes trigger it. Also, you may face specific signs listed below when encountering this error.
Signs Exhibited by QB Error 80070057
When you face error code 80070057 QuickBooks Desktop, the following signs can confirm its presence:
- You may experience abrupt crashing of the QuickBooks Program and Windows OS as the error message pops up.
- You’ll fall prey to the sluggish responses for the mouse and keyboard inputs.
- The QuickBooks message code 80070057 stating the parameter is incorrect will emerge on the screen.
- You can’t delete the file in the specific folder because of the error and insufficient permissions.
- Opening the same program might invite system crashes.
The following troubleshooting solutions will help you when you’re getting error code 80070057 QuickBooks.
Ways to Eliminate QuickBooks Error 80070057
Below are written solutions you could try to resolve QuickBooks Error 80070057 and follow them in the given hierarchy.
Solution- 1: Open the Company File with the Right Steps
QuickBooks error 0x80070057 occurs mainly because the users keep accessing the company file incorrectly. Below are mentioned the proper steps to open the company file.
- Go to QuickBooks Desktop and choose the company file.
- Click on Open.
- Open QuickBooks on the workstation and go to the File menu.
- Click on Open or Restore Company and select the Open a company file option.
- Click on Next and navigate to the company file location.
- Choose the company file from the list and click on Open.
- Verify your QB credentials if prompted.
Solution- 2: Make Sure that QuickBooks is Up-to-date
Suppose you are trying to open the company file in multi-user mode. In that case, it might be possible that the application on the server is updated to the latest release, and the company file is also updated. If your QuickBooks lacks the update, you will face issues opening the updated company file in the outdated software. Follow our article on A Handy Guide to Update QuickBooks Desktop to update your application efficiently.
Solution- 3: Run QuickBooks as an Administrator
Your system may require additional permissions to open the company file. So, make sure to run QuickBooks with admin rights by following the steps mentioned below.
- Exit from the QuickBooks application and go to the Desktop.
- Right-click on the QB icon and choose the Run as administrator option.
- If the company file does not open automatically, click on the company file and select Open. See if you’re still getting error 80070057 QuickBooks.
Solution- 4: Move the Data File Back to its Original Location
You may have shifted the company file from its default location to a different one to resolve some issues in the past. But the file needs to be moved back to the original place for QuickBooks to access it easily. Follow the steps mentioned below to complete the deed.
- Close the QuickBooks and go to the company file location.
- Right-click on the company file and choose the Copy option.
- Navigate to the default location of the data file, i.e., – C:/ Users/ Public/ Public Documents/ Intuit/ QuickBooks/ Company Files, and press the CTRL + V keys to paste it there.
- Reopen QuickBooks and click on Find a company file.
- Under the Local Drives, search the file name and choose the correct company file.
- At last, click on Open to access the file.
Solution- 5: Use the QuickBooks File Doctor to Fix QuickBooks error code 80070057
QuickBooks faces problems while accessing a company file with damaged data. To fix the issues in the data file, you can run the QuickBooks File Doctor tool from the QuickBooks Tool Hub. Needless to say, you need to have the Tool Hub installed on your computer system to run the tool. If you don’t have it, download it from Intuit’s website and install it before heading toward the steps mentioned below.
- Open the QuickBooks Tool Hub and click on the Company File Issues tab.
- Choose the Run QuickBooks File Doctor button and wait for the file doctor to open.
- Choose your company file from the drop-down menu in the QuickBooks File Doctor window. You can also Browse and Search for your file if you don’t find it in the menu.
- Click on Check your file and select Continue.
- Verify the action by entering your QB admin credentials and clicking on Next.
- Let the tool run the scan. The ETA depends on the file size and can take up to 5 minutes.
- After the scan finishes, try accessing your company file in QuickBooks again, regardless of the outcome.
Solution- 6: Create a Fresh Network Data File and Run the Database Server Manager
The network data file is crucial for continuous connectivity between the workstation and the company file in the server computer. If it is somehow damaged, the user must create a new network data file by following the below steps.
- Go to the company file folder and search for the network data file (with the same name as your data file but .ND at the end).
- Right-click on the file and choose the Rename option.
- Add the word .KLN at the end of its name and press the Enter key to save your actions.
- QuickBooks will automatically create a new network data file as soon as you open the company file.
- Now go to the QuickBooks Tool Hub and select the Network Issues tab.
- Click on QuickBooks Database Server Manager, and if you don’t have it on your computer, Tool Hub will prompt you to install it.
- Once the server manager opens, click on Start Scan if your company file folder is showing.
- If it is not showing, Browse the company file location and choose Start Scan.
- Lastly, click on Close.
Note: If your computer has BitDefender or Malwarebytes, Then Make sure to exclude the QuickBooks Folder from being scanned by antivirus.
Solution 7: Rename QuickBooks Desktop Network Data File
- Open the QuickBooks Desktop installation directory and look for the files having .ND extension with the same name as your company file.
- Right-click the file and select Rename.
- Add .XYZ at the end of the file name and save it.
- Now try to perform the same action that was triggering the error earlier.
Solution 8: Use Verify and Rebuild Tool to repair the company file
Verify and Rebuild Data Tool comes only where the QuickBooks company file has data integrity issues. The steps are straightforward, and our experts listed below precisely:
- Double Click on the QBD icon to Launch it.
- In the Home Screen of QuickBooks Desktop, Click on File. Afterward, drag the mouse to the utility option and select Verify data option.
- Select the file causing QuickBooks error 80070057 and Let the verification process finish.
- The result of the Verify data tool shows whether you need to go further.
- To Rebuild the same, click on the File tab, Then, Utility, and At last, Rebuild rather than choosing verify data.
- Once the Process of rebuilding finishes, you can try to open the file.
Solution 9: Verify the Company File Name Extension
Check the extension of your company file through the following steps:
- Right-click your company file and hit the Properties option. See file extension.
- Choose the QuickBooks tab and select OK.
Now, change the extension as follows.
- Form a new folder to alter the extension.
- Then, go to the default location to copy the company file. Now, paste it into the new folder.
- Further, right-click the new folder and opt for the Rename option.
- Modify the QB file extension to .qbm.
- Click OK to save the changes made to the file.
- Now, launch QB Desktop to restore the portable company file.
- Change the extension back to .qbb if you face any troubles.
- Visit QuickBooks and hit the restore the backup option.
- If the file shows problems opening or is inaccessible, modify the extension to .qbx.
If a USB or flash drive possesses your company file, you must copy the file from here. Then, paste it to a new folder created in the local storage. It enables seamless access to QuickBooks. The steps involved are as follows:
- Head to the USB flash drive files. Here, right-click and copy the company file or Ctrl +C.
- Navigate to the desktop and right-click with the mouse.
- Select New > Folder.
- After forming the new folder, paste the company file into it.
- Now, launch QuickBooks Desktop and start using the company file from here.
Hopefully, you won’t be getting message 80070057 QuickBooks Desktop after these methods.
We would like to end our blog on the QuickBooks Error 80070057 at this point. We hope the solutions mentioned above are easy to understand and help you quickly remove the error. However, if you require additional assistance, call the helpline number 1.800.579.9430 anytime.
If you wish to resolve QuickBooks error 80070057, you can use a few components of the tool hub given below:
1. QuickBooks File Doctor from the Company File Issues tab.
2. QuickBooks Database Server Manager from the Network Issues tab.
3. QuickBooks Fix My Program from the Program Problems section.
These tools can help fix the numerous triggers of QB error 80070057. You can use them accordingly to resolve your issues.