QuickBooks hosting mode is off error message can show up in several situations. In this blog, you’ll see five different solutions that you can take in the sequence mentioned to quickly resolve the error. However, you can start from in between if you are aware of the reason for the error in your case. Read all the methods carefully. It’s also essential to go through the causes mentioned in this blog. Knowing the cause can give you an in-depth explanation of the resolution of the error.
To know more about error message “QuickBooks Hosting Mode is Off” or its troubleshooting procedure, get in touch with us at 1.800.417.5147
Reasons For QuickBooks Hosting Mode Not Working Issue
There are a host of reasons responsible for this error showing up on your screen. Read the causes well before you fix this error. It can minimize your time, and you won’t have to perform all the methods given below. Some of the reasons for QuickBooks hosting mode is off are:
- QuickBooks not installed on the server.
- Hosting settings are incorrect.
- The database server can’t open the company file.
- Windows File Permissions are incorrect.
- A firewall or antivirus is not allowing communication between computers.
Now that you are sound of the reasons, you can try the methods discussed below. Methods aim to fix these causes mentioned above.
5 Quick Fixes to Resolve Error Hosting Multi-User Mode
Solution 1: Verify the Folder Permissions
You must check the folder permissions on your system. This will ensure that the folder holding your company file has the authority to share the data with other systems in the network. Go through the steps explained below:
- First, you need to check the folder permissions before changing them.
- To begin with, open the Start menu and open File Explorer.
- Right-click on the folder that stores of the company file. Choose Properties.
- In the Security tab, click on Advanced.
- Choose QBDataServiceUserXX and then Edit.
- You need to set specific settings to Allowed, some of which are: Traverse Folder/Execute File, Write Attributes, Read Extended Attributes, Read Permissions, etc.
- If the permissions aren’t set up correctly, right-click on the folder that contains the company file. Choose Properties.
- Choose Security and then Edit.
- Select QBDataServiceUserXX and choose Full Control and then click Allow.
- Now choose Apply and then OK.
- Now to change the folder permission, open File Explorer from the Windows Start menu.
- Click on specific folders you need to change the permissions for. The complete list of folders can be easily found on the web. Some folders may also be version-specific, so be aware of that. You will not have all the folders.
- Now right-click on the folder and choose Properties.
- In the Security tab, choose Everyone.
- Choose Full Control and select Apply and OK.
If these steps don’t resolve your problem, move to the next set of steps given below.
Solution 2: Install QuickBooks Database Server Manager
QuickBooks Database Server Manager can be installed on the server computer. This way, you can safely share your company files over the network. Implement the measures given below to resolve QuickBooks hosting mode is off issue:
- First, download Database Server Manager. This is already a part of QuickBooks Desktop.
- Install the software on the server computer that hosts your company files. To do this, first close all open programs, including QuickBooks.
- Open the file you downloaded termed as Setup_QuickBooks.exe.
- Now follow the onscreen instructions.
- Choose Custom or Network Options when QuickBooks asks you for an install type. Now click Next and don’t select Express.
- Choose the best option for the network setup and hit on Next.
- Follow the onscreen instructions, if any. Choose Install, and Windows may ask for your permission.
- After this, finally set your firewall permissions. Update Database Server Manager and then finally use the application.
Note: Suppose QuickBooks Desktop is already on your computer, then this won’t overwrite any current company data. Try the next measure if the above steps above don’t solve your error.
Solution 3: Set Windows Admin Rights
This small change allows you to change or modify any firewall settings and Windows permissions. Implement the steps given below:
- First, add a Windows user with admin rights. Each version of Windows has its own way to achieve this. Check your version and implement the measures accordingly.
- Now to grant admin access for QuickBooks programs to a user, you can follow specific steps.
- First, close QuickBooks Desktop.
- Open the Windows Start menu.
- Open Control Panel and then choose User Accounts.
- Find the QBDataServiceUserXX for your version of QuickBooks Desktop.
- Choose Change the Account Type and then Administrator. Now, choose Change Account Type option.
- Choose Apply to save the changes.
- Repeat the steps for each version of QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
If the steps don’t resolve your error; it’s best to try the next troubleshooting method.
Solution 4: Scan the Folders Using QuickBooks Database Server Manager
To access the file over the network, it’s important to scan the folders using QuickBooks Database Server Manager. Follow the steps given below to rectify QuickBooks hosting mode is off error message:
- To scan your folders on the server computer, open the Windows Start menu.
- Type Database in the search bar and open QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Move to the Scan Folders tab.
- Choose Browse and select the folder that contains your company file.
- Choose OK when done.
- Finally, select Start Scan.
- The folder should appear in the QuickBooks Company File Found section after the scan. You can now access these folders.
- You can also monitor your drives from the Monitored Drives tab.
- Manage and then restart Database Server Manager. The steps of restarting can vary depending on whether you’ve installed QuickBooks and Database Server Manager or only Database Server Manager.
Try the final and the last method of this article if the above steps don’t help you.
Solution 5: Turn on Hosting on The Server Computer
This is the last and final step when you feel everything is finally resolved. To implement this properly, follow the steps given below:
- Move to the File Menu.
- Move the cursor over Utilities.
- Choose Host Multi-User Access.
- Click on Yes.
In this blog, you’ve seen the causes and solutions for QuickBooks hosting mode is off error message. You saw five solutions that you can implement in order or independently, depending on the situation. Keep in mind that the Database Server Manager should be well set up, and all the system requirements should meet to run this software. You can also ask for help if you have any doubt or query in implementing the steps taken, get in touch with us at 1.800.417.5147.