QuickBooks error 6147 is a frequently occurring technical error when a user tries to open a company file or backup file. It is an error code related to the series of QuickBooks error 6000 that comprises errors while trying to open a company file. Consider this blog as the ultimate guide to overcoming this issue. Here, you will find precise details about the causes, symptoms, and procedures to fix the issue.
Is the QB error 6147 constantly bothering you? Different possible reasons may lead to the error 6147, but you need to keep track of the root cause of the error as it makes troubleshooting, a less daunting task. This post is a deliberate attempt to help users with a comprehensive guide to fix QB company file error 6147.
Are you receiving Error code 6147 while extracting the data from the QB file or Opening the QBW file? In that case, we recommend you maintain utmost supervision. If you are skilled in technical troubleshooting, only then follow the guide. Otherwise, you should reach out to the QuickBooks Data service team by placing a call on our Helpline number +1 800-579-9430.
What is QuickBooks Error Code 6147 and What Provokes it?
QuickBooks error 6147 is the error inherited from the 6XXX series error. This Error usually occurs when QuickBooks fails to restore backup files from the local system or open the data file or backup file. The error usually occurs due to many reasons, and the moment you encounter Error code 6147, you need to ensure the QB Desktop is up to date. Thus we have enlisted causes and flexible solutions.
Reasons that cause QuickBooks Error 6147
When you see QuickBooks Desktop error code 6147, any of the below-given reasons is evoking the technical error while accessing the company file.
- You cannot access your company file if it is damaged or corrupt.
- When network drive is used to restore a backup file in QuickBooks.
- If the backup file name exceeds beyond 210 characters which is its maximum limit.
- A corrupt download of QB can also trigger error code 6147.
- The technical glitch arises when Windows registry gets corrupted.
- Erroneous deletion of QuickBooks related files can give rise to the technical error.
- A malicious attack from virus or malware can bring forth the error: 6147.
- Improper installation of QuickBooks is also an apparent reason for the QB Desktop error 6147.
Symptoms for Error 6147 0 in QuickBooks
Following is the list of symptoms you can experience when QuickBooks error (6147 0) takes place-
- An active program window gets crashed with the arrival of error code 6147 0 arrives
- Automatic Windows shut down to protect PC against damage caused due to the error
- QuickBooks error message code 6147 0 appears on the screen with the error description
- The system responds lethargically to inputs provided by mouse or keyboard
- Your computer frequently crashes for a few seconds every time it occurs
How to Resolve Error 6147 in QuickBooks While Opening Company File?
For multi-pronged causes, you need to perform multiple solutions to suppress the factors causing the error. Below, you can find the best solutions to resolve QB error 6147 with absolute ease.
Important Note: Before starting the troubleshooting process, make sure that QuickBooks software is updated to the latest maintenance release.
Solution 1: Utilize QuickBooks File Doctor for the Error Resolution
QuickBooks File Doctor tool can detect common errors in the QuickBooks company file and then resolve it. To make the tool work, Steps mentioned underneath as:
- Download and install the tool in the first place.
- Once it is installed, run the tool.
- Now, Select the company file through the Drop-down menu and If it don’t show any company file, Then browse it from file explorer.
- Let the Diagnose Process complete.
- Close the File Doctor Program.
- Open the QuickBooks, and If you still see QuickBooks error 6147, then hop into the next troubleshooting solution.
Solution 2: Change the Backup File Location
Before performing this solution, make sure that hosting is not enabled on your system. Now save the copy of the backup file to another location on your computer. Perform the below-listed steps to resolve QuickBooks error 6147 0–
- Open QuickBooks and then click the File menu to select Utilities.
- If you see the option Stop Hosting Multi-User it means hosting is turned on
- Disable Multi-User Hosting on your system and then click Yes when the next window appears
- Now a new window will appear where you have to click Yes again while the company file is closed
- Now, restore the backup file from the system
If the QuickBooks error code 6147 0 remains unresolved after performing the solution, then follow the next troubleshooting solution.
Solution 3: Configure “Trend Micro Active Scan” Settings
You need to set the folder aside that contains the QuickBooks company file. Proceed with the steps given below-
- You have to find the location of the company file in the first place
- Press Ctrl key and double click on QuickBooks simultaneously
- Open the software without disturbing the company file
- Use “No Company Open” window to open the company file
- Company file should be on the top
- Open the Scan settings of Trend Micro Active Scan and then select the folder consisting company file and add it to the exception.
Solution 4: Fix Damage .ND & .TLG files
.ND and .TLG files are network configuration files that enable a company file to run in multi-user mode. Renaming can repair these files to resolve error code 6147 in QB.
- Go to the folder containing company file and then double click to open it
- Find the corresponding files with .ND and .TLG extensions to your .QBW file
- Right-click on these files and then add old after the file name
If error 6147 in QuickBooks remains unfixed, then attempt the next troubleshooting method to get rid of the annoying technical error.
Solution 5: Rename ADR file As Main QuickBooks Company File
Renaming .ADR file is another effective way to fix error code 6147. Use the below-given steps for the error resolution-
- Open the folder containing QuickBooks company file
- Now find QuickBooks .ADR folder
- Open the folder and search recent ADR file
- On locating the file having .ADR extension, right-click on the file and rename it to .QBW.
Solution 6: Use Quick Fix my Program from intuit Tool Hub
First step : Download and install the QuickBooks Tool Hub
The QuickBooks Tool Hub assist to fix common errors. For the best experience.Therefore we recommend you use Tool Hub 64-bit on Windows 10.
- First, you must close QuickBooks.
- Download one of the most current versions of the QuickBook Tool Hub right now. Quickly save the file on your desktop to find that file easily, like in your Windows Desktop or Download folder.
- Open the downloaded file now (QuickBooksToolHub.exe).
- Just follow the on-screen procedure to install it and agree to our terms and conditions.
- Double-click the icon on your Windows desktop when the installation process ends to start the tool hub.
Second step: Run and use Quick Fix my Program
- Select The company file Issues from the toll hub.
- Choose the Quick fix my file program.
- Select ok when it’s done, and After that, run the QuickBooks.
Solution 7: Disable the firewall application for a short while
A firewall is a network security software that regulates your computer’s inbound and outbound traffic. For example, suppose you are experiencing an issue while accessing the file over the network or restoring your company file. In that case, you could try to disable the firewall application to discern whether the Firewall is causing the error or something else triggering Error code 6147. Steps to disable firewall application we have listed below:
- Left-Click on the start menu button.
- Next, Type Control panel and Left Click on the control panel icon.
- In Control Panel, Select the System & security Option.
- Now, Select Windows Firewall in the system & security option.
- Choose, Windows Firewall turned on and off from the left side window.
- At last, Select the radio button to turn off the firewall settings.
Note: To disable the firewall, you have three courses of action: turn it off for only the private network, public network, or both networks.
- Now, Go back and try perform the same opeartion to identify is error still occuring or not.
Solution 8: Shut all QuickBooks Processes Down
Closing all the QuickBooks processes can help resolve error 6147. Therefore, do it as follows:
- Initiate by choosing ‘Login as Administrator’ on the server.
- Press Ctrl, Shift, and Esc keys simultaneously.
- Here, choose the Users tab and click on the ‘Show the Processes’ for all users option.
- Next, highlight the following QuickBooks processes:
- Select the End Task option.
- This resolution will help you eliminate the unwanted processes, following which is critical to open the company file in multi-user mode and rectify the error.
Solution 9: Utilize the Rebuild Data Utility
Execute this solution by undertaking the following steps:
- Select Utilities from the main File menu.
- Choose to Rebuild the Data.
- If a prompt appears on the screen asking you to create a backup of the company file, choose OK.
- Similarly, if a message stating QuickBooks is not responding appears, hit OK.
Solution 10: Install the QB Desktop through a New Windows User Account with Complete Admin Rights
- Easily find out the ‘Settings’ tab just after opening up the ‘Start’ menu present on the Windows Desktop; once you have hit it, you need to move forward to strike the ‘Accounts’ tab, and immediately thereafter, you should tap the option bearing the name ‘Family & Other Users’ on the screen.
- To create a fresh user account, hit the ‘Add someone else to this PC’ option, and then you must choose to click on the ‘I don’t have this person’s sign-in information’ tab; just after that, you should identify and tap the ‘Add a user without a Microsoft account’ option.
- At this step, you need to fill in the relevant details like username, password, answer to the security question etc., so that a new Windows user account can be finally created.
- Once the account creation is done, you should go back to the ‘Family and other users’ tab so that you can identify the new user account and then you must hit the ‘Change account type’ option present below the new user account name.
- By choosing the ‘Administrator’ option, you can grant admin rights to this new user account, and then you can successfully access the company file through this account.
Solution 11: Ensure full Termination of this Error by Repairing the Microsoft .NET Framework on your System
Turn off all the processes can resolve error 6147. Therefore, do it as follows:
- By launching the ‘Control Panel’ on the computer, you can promptly reach the ‘Programs and features’ tab, and once you click on it, you will be able to hit the ‘Uninstall a program’ option, and thereafter, you can find all the .NET frameworks at one place by striking the ‘Turn Windows features on or off’ option.
- At this step, you need to locate the ‘.NET framework 4.5’ on the on-screen list, and if its checkbox is unmarked, you should quickly check-mark it before rebooting your system.
- In case the checkbox shown beside the ‘.NET framework 4.5’ is already checked, you need to unmark it before rebooting your computer. Once your system turns on, you can mark that checkbox again.
- Now, you can swiftly repair the .NET framework 3.5SP1, 4.6, 4.7, as well as 4.8 through a similar process and after all of them have been repaired, you can open the company file without confronting this intricate error.
Solution 12: Restore Data in your QuickBooks and Use ADR also known as Auto Data Recovery
You must carry out the following actions in order to use QuickBooks’ Auto Data Recovery (ADR) feature:-
- Create a QBTest folder on your computer’s desktop.
- Now transfer the files with the .tlg extensions from your company file folder to this QBTest folder.
- Find and access the QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery folder from the exact location of your company files.
- The .QBW.adr file from this page should be copied and pasted into the QBTest folder you just made.
- Remove the .adr extension from the file after pasting it into the QBTest folder.
If the files in the QB Test folder function when used in place of QuickBooks company, move them back to their original location.
If none of the troubleshooting solutions resolve QuickBooks desktop error code 6147, you need to reach out to an expert for the error resolution. Dial our QuickBooks error support phone number 1.800.579.9430 to get instant relief from error code 6147 0 in QB Desktop.
FAQ’s For Error 6147 0 in QuickBooks Desktop
You can Use the Intuit File Doctor to Repair the damaged company file.
Damaged in the QBW file or flaw in Hosting configuration are the usual reasons for Error 6147 0 in QuickBooks Desktop.