QuickBooks as an accounting application is renowned worldwide among small to mid-sized businesses. Its features make it stand out for all the right reasons. However, to use the application, the user needs to store their crucial data in the form of a company file. The data file helps the user perform required operations, but when accessing the file, a user may see the QuickBooks error 6131 0. This error emerges when you open the company file locally. If you have been constantly bugged by this uncommon error 6131 0, use our blog to fix it manually.
Additionally, you can save yourself the pain of going through the technical steps by calling the support team on 1.800.417.5147
What Methods will Remove the Error Code 6131 0 in QuickBooks?
Let us now discuss different methods that have promising results to solve error code 6131 0 in QuickBooks
Method 1: Modify the Name of the .ND and .TLG Files
With the help of the .ND and .TLG files, QuickBooks can establish a connection to open a company file. One common reason you may see the error 6131 0 is the damage in the above files. Hence, when you try to open the file, QuickBooks error 6131 0 will pop up.
Therefore, if you rename these files to fix the issues, QuickBooks will freshly recreate them and reverse the error due to corruption. Here’s how you can accomplish these steps to fix the company file error in QuickBooks.
- .ND and .TLG files are in the folder containing your company file. Therefore, you must open the company file folder on your system.
- Look for the files whose name resonates with your company file but with the .ND and .TLG extensions. Here is what you must look for:
- Highlight the files and perform the following procedure one by one.
- Right-click on the file and click on the Rename option.
- Modify the name of the file by typing .OLD at the end of the file name. It will appear like: company_file.qbw.nd.OLD
- Eventually, re-launch QuickBooks and sign in to your company file to see if the error is fixed.
Method 2: Try accessing a Sample Company File
If you still came across the QuickBooks error 6131 0 after the first method, you must use this next method. Then, we will guide you to access the sample company file, which will test where the issue lies.
If you can successfully access the sample company file through this method, the issue is with your present company file. In case the error comes even in the launch of the sample file, your installation files of the QuickBooks application are damaged.
- Firstly, you must open QuickBooks’s No Company Open window.
- Click on Open a Sample File.
- Use the list in front of you to open a sample company file.
If you observe that the company file launched with a glitch or a hunt of QuickBooks Error 6131 0, then move to the next method. Else, you must tackle issues in the QuickBooks Installation files.
Method 3: Change the Company File Location
Now that you have observed in the previous method, that error may come due to the location of the company file. Therefore, we suggest you change the location of the company file before re-accessing it.
One reason the location is causing the issue is that the path of the company file exceeds the file system path limitation. Here’s what we suggest doing.
- Open the folder that has your company file.
- Look for the name of your company file with the .QBW extension.
- Once you locate the file, right-click on it, and from the menu, choose Copy.
- Navigate to your desktop screen, right-click anywhere on the screen, and click on Paste.
- Next, as you open QuickBooks, hold down the Control key.
- This command will take you to the No company open screen.
- Choose Open or restore an existing company.
- When asked to choose the location of the company file, ensure that you select the Desktop one.
See if the company file opens up or not. If the error still appears, move to the next solution.
Method 4: Restore your Company File Backup
It is crucial to know if QuickBooks error 6131 0 is coming from the present file or not. Therefore, if nothing has yet worked for you to eliminate the error 6131 0, restore a backup copy of your company file. Given below are the steps you must follow:
- You must ensure that your computer isn’t the host.
- Launch your company file.
- Navigate to the File menu and click on Utilities.
- If you see the Stop Hosting Multi-User Access option, here’s what you must do:
- Click on Stop Hosting Multi-User Access.
- Once the Stop hosting multi-user access screen open up, click on Yes.
- Next, review the path of your company file, which should not exceed 210 characters.
- Now you should go to the location of the company file on your system.
- The path will be on the address bar, and you must copy the same.
- Paste the copied text on the notepad to count the characters.
- Here we are taking an example: C:Documents and Settings/All Users/Documents/IntuitQuickBooksSampleCompany Files/QuickBooks 2018Sample_company_file.qbw is 125 characters.
- Restore your company file and see if this restored file can be accessed or not.
Still Facing QuickBooks Error Code 6131 0
Your manual guide to eliminating QuickBooks error 6131 0 ends here. You must be free of this company file issue with the above methods. But, if this issue persists and nothing seems to work, let the experts take it from here. Call the toll-free number 1.800.417.5147 for the support team.