QuickBooks Desktop is the traditional version of the accounting software developed by Intuit. Intensive software features reduce book management’s complexity, but certain errors hamper this effortless experience with QuickBooks. The error in question today is the QuickBooks error 1601. It appears with the following error message. “Error 1601: Windows Installer is not accessible.” If you are facing the QuickBooks error 1601, you must use this article as your manual guide to resolving the error.
Additionally, if you want to look for the quickest way to fix the Windows Installer error, contact the QuickBooks Pro team on the toll-free number +1 800-579-9430
What to do when Error 1601 appears when Installing QuickBooks Desktop?
If you see Error Code 1601 in QuickBooks when installing QuickBooks Desktop, you must use the below methods to fix it.
Method 1: Download the QuickBooks application while in the Selective Startup Mode
Using the Selective Startup mode will restrict unwanted programs running in the background. This way, as a user, you can efficiently install QuickBooks on the system.
- Firstly, use the Windows + R command on your keyboard to open the Run window.
- Where you see the cursor, type MSConfig and press the Enter key.
- Select the General tab and then the Selective startup option.
- Choose Load system services.
- Navigate to the Services tab.
- Select Hide all Microsoft Services.
- Click on the Disable all option.
- You will see that the Hide all Microsoft services checkbox is selected, and you must unselect this option.
- Additionally, select the Windows Installer checkbox and, moving forward, click on OK.
- Once you are on the System Configuration window, press the Restart option.
- Your computer will restart while it is in selective startup mode.
- Try installing the QuickBooks Desktop application.
- After you have successfully installed the software without the occurrence of QuickBooks error 1601, you must turn your system to normal mode. Here are the steps moving forward.
- Press the Windows + R keys on the keyboard.
- After you see the cursor on the screen, type MSConfig.
- Hit the Enter key, and press the Normal startup option using the General tab.
- After you click on OK, you can restart your system in normal mode.
Method 2: Repair the Microsoft MSXML
Microsoft MSXML components are crucial when a user tries installing QuickBooks desktop or downloading the latest updates. Hence, users may see the QuickBooks error 1601 if the components mentioned above are corrupted. Therefore, in this second method, we will explain how to repair these components, and the steps are bifurcated based on the operating system.
- If you have the 64-Bit operating system, use the steps below:
- Firstly, click on the Windows Start menu.
- Use the search bar to search CMD.
- After reaching the CMD, right-click to select the Run as Administrator option.
- In the C: prompt, enter cd\Windows\syswow64.
- You must enter the regsvr32 MSXML6.dll text before hitting the Enter key.
- Eventually, you must attempt the process of installing QuickBooks.
- Users of the 32-Bit operating system must use the steps below to fix QuickBooks error 1601.
- Press the Windows + R keys together, which is the command to access the Run window.
- In the window, type cmd.
- Hit the Enter key.
- On the next window that pops up, you must type regsvr32 MSXML6.dll.
- Hit the Enter key and complete your process of updating QuickBooks Desktop update.
How to Fix Error Code 1601 in QuickBooks when Updating it?
Another situation where QuickBooks error 1601 infects the system is when a user tries to update QuickBooks. If you are in a similar situation, follow the method below.
Clean Install QuickBooks
Clean installing QuickBooks is the process of uninstalling and freshly reinstalling QuickBooks, and this is a standard method that can aid in solving error code 1601 in QuickBooks.
- Firstly, go to the Start menu, and in the search menu, type Control Panel.
- Once you hit the Enter key, Control Panel will open up.
- Choose the Programs and Features or Uninstall a Program option.
- You will see a list of installed applications in front of you.
- From the list of options, highlight QuickBooks Desktop.
- You must uninstall the application using the Uninstall/Change option.
- Select Remove and then Next.
- You may have to log out and log back in as an admin user if you don’t see this option.
- Further, you must use the instructions on your screen to uninstall the QuickBooks Desktop. The same is to be repeated for all the QuickBooks versions on your system.
- The following process is to reinstall the software, and this is what you must do.
- Access the folder where you have downloaded the QuickBooks setup file and click on the QuickBooks.exe file.
- Follow the instructions as they appear on your screen to install the software.
- Additionally, to successfully install QuickBooks, accept the software license agreement.
- Click on Next and when the system prompts, fill in your Product and License numbers.
- Finally, by clicking the Next button, you can get the software installed on your system.
Still Facing QuickBooks Error 1601
With this, our guide on QuickBooks error 1601 ends here. With the careful usage of the steps in the article, you will be free of this error. But, if the root of the error is unknown, advanced tools are required, and you must contact the support team on +1 800-579-9430 for further guidance.