QuickBooks error 6000 77 occurs when the company file incurs damage or becomes corrupted and fails to open in QB. Such errors can highly frustrate a user whose routine gets interrupted. Therefore, we have prepared an easy-to-understand guide to offer relieving solutions and insights into the error.
A common error arising while opening a company file is error code 6000 77. The following is the message flashing on the screen along with the error – “We’re sorry. QuickBooks encountered a problem.” A prominent reason behind the issue is keeping the file on external storage rather than the local drive. Continue to read below to gain more insights and tips to fix this troubling issue.
Looking for a direct approach to get rid of QuickBooks Error 6000 77? Connect with our certified experts and learn the best way to fix the problem right away. Dial +1-800-579-9430 Now.
Why am I Facing QuickBooks Company File Error 6000 77?
Before we understand various techniques to eradicate QuickBooks error 6000 77 permanently, we must look into the reasons that cause the same. Here are some common triggers of this error –
- Storing the company file on a cloud software or an external storage device.
- The folder in which the files are stored does not have the required permissions or is damaged.
- QuickBooks error code 6000 77 may occur if QuickBooks files are corrupted.
- The mapped network path for the company file is not right.
- Windows Firewall is restricting QuickBooks from working properly.
- Accidental deletion of QuickBooks files or components from the device may prompt the error.
What are the Symptoms of QuickBooks Error Message 6000 77?
Here are some tips on how you can spot and identify QuickBooks Desktop error 6000 77 –
- The user might be unable to open and view their company file.
- QB screen opens and shuts on its own.
- Windows crashes to prevent the damage from expanding.
- The user might be unable to click on the tabs and buttons inside the program.
- QuickBooks becomes unresponsive.
Points to Consider before Fixing QuickBooks Error 6000 77
- Try to run QuickBooks as an administrator before you move to the troubleshooting steps. Doing this provides QB with the required permission.
- Move your company file to the local storage of your device. Storing it on an external drive can invite bugs and the risk of corruption.
- Check the name of the file. If it has any special characters included or any white spaces, remove them from the name.
How to Rectify Error 6000 77 in QuickBooks Desktop?
In the below section, we have discussed the most useful methods that will help you in eradicating QuickBooks 6000, 77 error once and for all. Make sure that you follow the instructions as they are mentioned–
Method 1 – Repair the Settings in the Windows Firewall
The firewall protects your device from potential threats on the internet and malicious applications. It can block QuickBooks as a part of this task, which is why you need to exclude QB from this scanning process, or else error 6000 77 in QuickBooks may not go –
- Open the Start menu by clicking on the Windows icon in the bottom left corner.
- Type Windows Firewall in the search box and select the searched option.
- In the following window, choose Advanced Settings from the menu on the left.
- Go to Inbound Rules, right-click on it and select New Rule.
- Press the Program button and click on Next.
- Now, you need to press the This Program Path button and click on Next again.
- Pick one of the QB .exe files and tap on the button named Next.
- Moving forward, click on “Allow the Connection” and hit Next.
- After this, you need to check that all the profiles listed on the screen are marked.
- Press Next to create the rule and name it as “QBFirewallException(name.exe).”
- Repeat the same process and create an Outbound Rule.
- Reboot your computer after these changes and check QuickBooks.
Method 2 – Replace the Damaged QuickBooks Folder
When the company file is stored in a corrupted folder, it might become inaccessible, thus causing problems like error 6000 77. An easy way to fix this is to move the file to a new folder that is not damaged –
- Press the Windows and E keys together to open the File Explorer window.
- Double-click on the C: drive folder and create a new folder here, name it QB TEST.
- Now, you need to navigate to the folder in which you keep your QuickBooks company file.
- Look for the data file (company file name.qbw), right-click on it, and choose to Copy.
- Open the QB TEST folder, right-click on it, and tap on Paste.
- Close the window and open QuickBooks Desktop on your screen.
- Access the file from the QB TEST folder and check if the error still occurs.
Method 3 – Change the Extensions of QuickBooks Files
When you rewrite the .ND and .TLG extensions, it helps in file configuration. QuickBooks Desktop then can allow access to company files in multi-user mode. Technical issues can arise while opening the files with these extensions. Therefore, modifying their name will prevent data loss. It will enable automatic reproduction when opening or scanning company files using QuickBooks Database Server Manager
Damaged support files stop QB from functioning properly. By changing the extensions of the affected files, they become void and newer copies are created which are error-free –
- In the QBDT window, press the F2 key to open the Product Information box.
- Copy the location of your company file and make a note of it. In most cases, it is – C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files.
- Click on the Windows icon, type File Explorer and click on the option.
- In the next window, go to the search panel on the top and paste the location that you copied.
- You will now be inside the QB file folder. Locate the following files –
a. Network data file – company_file.qbw.nd
b. Transaction log file – company_file.qbw.tlg
- Select one of the files, right-click on it and select Rename.
- Alter the file extension by adding .OLD at the end of the name and press the Enter key.
- Repeat the procedure for the other file and terminate the window –
- By doing this, the current files become void and are recreated by QB when you access the application next time.
Method 4 – Open the Company File from an Alternate Route
The company file opens with QuickBooks Desktop. Preventing it from opening automatically may help solve the problem. Use the below steps to do so –
- Go to your home screen, and right-click on the QuickBooks Desktop icon.
- Tap and hold on to the Ctrl key of your keyboard and select “Run as Administrator.”
- This will stop your company file from opening automatically and take you to the No Company Open window.
- Press the File tab and click on “Open or Restore Company.”
- Further, you need to select the “Open a company file” option and press Next.
- Select Network and open the location of your company file.
- Search for the file and hit the Open button. The error should not exist anymore.
Method 5 – Fix the File using QuickBooks File Doctor
If none of the above methods fix the company file error for you, then this trick will definitely do. The QuickBooks File Doctor is specially designed to undo errors like this with the data file –
- If you are working on QB Desktop, close the application along with the file.
- Go to the Intuit website and look for the latest version of QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Download it on your device and save the downloaded file on the desktop.
- Start the installation process by double-clicking on the file and waiting for it to complete.
- Open the Tool hub and tap on the Company File Issues button.
- Choose to Run QuickBooks File Doctor and locate your company file by pressing the Browse and Search tab.
- Further, you need to tap on Check your File and hit the Continue button.
- Use your QB admin credentials to authorize the action and click on Next.
- The scan may take some time, depending on the size of your file.
- Reboot your device and open QBDT.
Method 6- Undertake an SFC Scan
SFC, also known as System File Checker, is an in-built tool in the program with the ability to repair corrupted files. It involves the following steps to resolve the error:
- Open the command prompt window. If you don’t know how to do the same, then follow these steps:
- Enter Windows + R keys together to launch the run window.
- Here, type cmd to open the Command prompt window.
- Once you launch this window, type and enter SFC/scan.
- Wait till the scan is complete. This process usually takes around five to ten minutes to complete.
- Although it takes time to reach 100%, do not lose patience. Once the scan is finished, try to access the file and check if it is still corrupted.
Method 7- Initiate a Clean Install
Another wonderful feature in the QuickBooks Tool Hub is the Clean Install feature. Running it can help users fix frustrating issues. You can find the Clean Install option as follows:
Open QuickBooks Tool Hub > Installation Issues > Tap Clean Install tool to execute this method.
Still Facing QuickBooks Error Code 6000 77
So, this was all about QuickBooks Error 6000 77. Above, we tried to grasp information about the factors that are responsible for the occurrence of this error. Corresponding to this, there are multiple techniques to smoothly resolve the same. We hope that you, too, were able to fix it. But, if that is not the case, we recommend you get in touch with our support team at +1-800-579-9430 any time soon.
QuickBooks error 6000 77 can get easily fixed through the following methods:
1. Disable the antivirus so third-party interruption won’t stop QuickBooks from functioning properly.
2. Providing QuickBooks with the required permissions and rebooting can help implement the changes and fix the issue.
3. Using QuickBooks Tool Hub features like Clean Install and QuickBooks File Doctor can help identify and rectify the issue.
If your company name has blank spaces, extra characters, or other things that do not adhere to the naming regulations, you must change it by undertaking the following steps:
1. Log out of the QuickBooks Desktop wherever it is open in the network.
2. Move to the QB company file and click right on it.
3. You will get a list of options, from which you must choose Rename.
4. Modify the company file name and eliminate extra characters and spaces and save the changes.
5. Now access your company file and verify the presence of the error.