If you are seeking the answer on how to correct a bill payment in QuickBooks, your search might end here. If you incorrectly apply a customer payment to an invoice, or to the wrong customer, you need to fix this issue to prevent discrepancies in your bookkeeping. There are multi-faceted issues related to the bill payment in QuickBooks that you may experience while making payments from within the application. In this post, we will see how to correct a bill payment in QuickBooks and deal with the various incorrect bill payment scenarios.
Wondering how do I correct a bill payment in QuickBooks Online? Dial our helpline number 1.800.579.9430 to get immediate help from the certified QuickBooks experts
Case 1: Payment Entered To Wrong Customer But Deposit Not Done Yet
The below-given steps can answer your doubt on how to correct a bill payment in QuickBooks when the payment has entered to the wrong customer that is not even done yet:
- Go to the Customer Center and locate the customer where you have incorrectly applied the payment.
- Now double-click the payment you want to rectify.
- After that, on the Received From drop-down list, select the correct customer to apply the payment.
Case 2: Payment Applied To The Wrong Customer And Deposit Done
Now that you have applied the payment to the wrong customer then follow the below-given steps to see how to correct this bill payment in QuickBooks:
- Go to the Customer Center and locate the customer where the payment was incorrectly applied.
- Now right-click the payment you want to correct and select View Transaction History.
- Next, you need to find the deposit date.
- After that, go to the bank register and locate the deposit in question.
- Right-click on deposit and hit Edit Deposit.
- Confirm that the incorrectly applied payment is part of this deposit.
- Moving further, select Edit/Delete Deposit.
- From Customer Center, locate the customer where the payment was incorrectly made.
- Double-click on the payment.
- Now from “Received From” drop-down list, select the right customer.
- Move back to the home screen and hit on the Record Deposits icon.
- In the end, select the items to be deposited to match the bank activity.
After getting your query on how to edit a paid bill in QuickBooks, move to the next scenario.
Case 3: When Deposit Was Not Correctly Grouped Together To Match The Bank Statement
In this situation, follow the below-given steps on how to correct a bill payment in QuickBooks:
- Go to the bank register and locate the deposits that were not grouped together, but you need to group them together to match the bank statement activity.
- Right-click on each deposit and select delete deposit.
- Back to the home screen and hit the Record Deposits icon and deposit the items correctly.
Case 4: A Bill In Quickbooks Is Recorded As Paid, But You Need To Void The Check Payment
When you void a check payment in QuickBooks, it changes the amount of the transaction to zero but keeps a record of the transaction in QuickBooks:
- Open the transaction in the first place.
- Now select Edit and then further select Void Bill/Void Bill Pmt-Check.
If you want to delete a bill/bill payment check:
- Open the transaction.
- Now select Edit and then Delete Bill/Bill Pmt Check.
Need Help From Experts?
This post elaborates on how to fix a bill payment that is entered incorrectly in QuickBooks. However, if you need help from qualified QB experts to edit a paid bill in QuickBooks, give us a call on our helpline number 1.800.579.9430. In no time, you will be connected to a professional QB expert who will resolve your queries on how to correct a bill payment in QuickBooks.