QuickBooks error 1618 takes place while running the setup program for installing QuickBooks Desktop on your system. You may also receive the error message while updating the program, which says, “There was a problem installing Microsoft Runtime Library (Error 1618)” or “Error 1618. “ERROR _ INSTALL _ ALREADY _ RUNNING” error message when you run the Setup program to install QuickBooks programs.” A single reason cannot be blamed for promoting the error 1618 in QuickBooks, but there are multitudinous factors to give rise to the technical nuisance. Worry not! If you want to resolve the error, read this post until the end to find out the possible causes and troubleshooting solutions for error 1618 in QuickBooks.
Annoyed with QuickBooks installation error 1618 and want to get it fixed instantly? Dial our QuickBooks error support phone number 1.800.417.5147 to get it done in no time.
What is QuickBooks Error 1618?
Error 1618 QuickBooks arises while attempting installation or update the QB application. The two error messages accompanying this problem are as follows:
“Error: there was a problem installing Microsoft Runtime Library (Error 1618)
Error 1618. “ERROR_INSTALL_ALREADY_RUNNING“
When more than one Windows installer is running, this error might arise, hindering the installation procedure. Windows Installer is a crucial component in installing, updating, and running a file. So if any damage occurs to it, you might face severe problems like error code 1618 QuickBooks. Other issues you might face due to the error are listed below. Consider them in detail and move further to the causes and troubleshooting methods.
Signs of QuickBooks Update Error 1618
When QuickBooks error 1618 takes place, you can identify it by the below-given indications:
- An error message with code 1618 appears on the screen all of a sudden and crashes an active window.
- Your computer crashes periodically for a few seconds.
- The performance of the windows becomes annoyingly slow.
- You will not be able to complete the installation process.
As is evident, the error message 1618 QuickBooks can have a considerable impact on QB operations. The interruptions can cause serious frustrations and disappointments. However, knowing why the error happens and attacking its root causes is crucial for effective troubleshooting.
Why QuickBooks Error Code 1618 Strikes?
It is important to know the possible causes of the error 1618 QuickBooks Desktop to ensure effective troubleshooting. Check the below-given bullet points:
- Partial or corrupt installation of the QuickBooks software
- Windows registry issues can also bring forth error code 1618
- Essential programs related to QuickBooks are deleted.
- When QuickBooks software or Windows-related files get infected due to a virus or malware attack
- MSIEXEC (Microsoft Installer Executable) process is not running on Windows, which is an installer program that helps users install applications on Windows.
- Damage in the installation of Microsoft Runtime Libraries.
When you detect any of these causes triggering the error message 1618 QuickBooks Desktop, you need to move forward with the resolution steps.
How To Resolve Error 1618: Another Program Is Being Updated?
After observing the possible causes and symptoms of QuickBooks error 1618, we can move to the troubleshooting solutions. Try the set of steps explained below:
Solution 1: Run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
QB Install Diagnostic Tool self-identifies and fixes the installation errors in the QuickBooks Desktop.
- First, close your QuickBooks Desktop.
- Download QuickBooks Tool Hub by clicking HERE and save it to your Desktop when prompted.
Note: In case QuickBooks Tool Hub is already installed on your system, find out its version and compare it to the latest version (188.8.131.52). If your installed QuickBooks Tool Hub is of the older version, make sure to update it to the latest version (184.108.40.206). To find out the QB Tool Hub’s version, you need to click on the About tab or select the Home tab (your QuickBooks version will be mentioned at the bottom-right corner).
- Now double-click on QB Tool Hub with the .exe extension on your Desktop.
- Click Yes on the License Agreement Window and follow the instructions to install the application.
- Once installed, run QuickBooks Tool Hub using the desktop icon and move to the Program Installation Issues tab.
- Click QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool and let it automatically repair the installation issues.
NOTE: QB install Diagnostic tool might take 20-25 minutes to scan and repair the installation issues.
- Now to repair the installation issues, you need to restart your system.
Solution 2: Verify the Instance of MSIEXEC.EXE Running in the Background
If QuickBooks Desktop error 1618 persists after applying the first solution, check for any instances of MSIEXEC.EXE running in the background. If multiple Microsoft Installer Executable (MSIEXEC) processes are running in your system’s background, you need to end them, as Windows often blocks the programs’ simultaneous installations or update processes.
- Press CTRL + Alt + Delete keys on your keyboard simultaneously and hit Task Manager.
- Open the Processes tab on your computer.
- Now click the Image Name column to set the list in alphabetical order.
- Search the processes named MSIEXEC.EXE and terminate them by clicking on the End Process button.
- Close the Task Manager window and try to install the application.
Now still QuickBooks error 1618 remains unresolved, then try the next procedure.
Solution 3: Reinstall Runtime Libraries for Microsoft
To perform this troubleshooting procedure, you need to follow the steps given below:
- Download Microsoft C++ Redistribute Package.
- If you have a 32-bit computer, then you need to open Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86) and hit Download.
- For a 64-bit computer, open Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x64) and then click Download.
- Save the downloaded files on your system.
- Wait for the download process to finish and then double-click on the downloaded file named “vcredist_X86.exe” or “vcredist_X64.exe” for 32-bit and 64-bit computers, respectively.
- Follow the on-screen instructions carefully to complete the download process.
- Open QuickBooks Tool Hub that you have downloaded in Solution 1 and click on the Program Problems tab.
- Now, you need to click on the Quick Fix my Program tool and let it run.
Solution 4: Create Windows Registry Backup Using the Below-Given Steps
If none of the above-explained solutions succeeded in the error resolution, try the below-given set of troubleshooting steps:
- Click the Start icon on your Windows Desktop.
- Now press Windows + R and type Regedit in the blank area.
- Next, in My Computer >> file menu >> Export.
- Go to Export Range and select All Option.
- You can now Save the Windows registry backup on your system.
- Once backup, delete the keys.
Solution 5: Update the Windows Installer Version
An outdated Windows installer might be why you keep getting error 1618 QuickBooks. So, update the current version as follows:
- You need to initiate this solution by signing in as the Windows administrator.
- Check the updates of Windows Installer and initiate them if you see any available.
- Now, go to My Computer.
- In the C:\Windows\System32, right-click the .exe file.
- Here, choose Properties and find the Windows Installer version.
- After checking this information, get its updates and simultaneously update QuickBooks.
- Restart your computer and ensure that error 1618 is gone.
Solution 6: Use Quick Fix My Program
As you download the QuickBooks Tool Hub, you’ll find another utility to use when you encounter error 1618. Under the Program Problems section, you will find the Quick Fix My Program tool. Select it and start scanning your program for performance issues. It will resolve all the problems causing your system and application to lag.
Solution 7: Get the Latest Windows Updates from Microsoft
When your Windows OS becomes outdated, you may face compatibility issues with QuickBooks, leading to you getting error code 1618 QuickBooks. Therefore, update your Windows as follows:
- Access your system’s settings from the desktop or Start menu.
- Hit the Update and Security tab. Then, click the Windows Update option.
- Now, choose the check for updates option.
- If any updates are available, you will see the download process begin without any intervention.
- If no updates are present, then you’ll need to work with other troubleshooting methods.
- When you initiate the update, let it finish without interruptions. Then, restart your computer to let the changes apply.
- Now, launch QuickBooks and see if any error is there.
Solution 8: Undertake Clean Installation in Selective Startup
Clean Installation in the selective startup mode will prevent any interruptions from third-party programs and apps. So, try this solution as follows:
1: Turn to the Selective Startup Mode
- Firstly, open the Run dialog box by pressing Windows + R keys together.
- Type msconfig in the blank space and hit Enter.
- In the pop-up that appears, hit the General tab.
- Enable Selective Startup and then click the Load System Services option.
- Under the services section, tap the Hide all Microsoft Services option.
- Select Disable All. Then, unmark the Hide all Microsoft Services box.
- Hit Windows Installer from the list of services emerging on the screen.
- Tap OK and restart the system from the system configuration window.
2: Reinstall QB Desktop
- Access your system’s Control Panel.
- Tap the Uninstall a Program option you’ll find under the programs and Features tab.
- You’ll arrive at a list of applications installed on your system currently.
- Select QuickBooks Desktop from this list and complete its uninstallation.
- Once done, you can install it again from authentic sources.
3: Return to the Normal Mode
- Once the reinstallation finishes successfully, you can get back to normal mode.
- To do so, open the Run window and type msconfig.
- Choose Normal Startup from the General tab.
- Restart your system after applying these settings.
Solution 9: Utilize the System File Checker Scan
The SFC scan, also known as the System File Checker scan, will help you fix the problems with the system files and components. Any corruption will get removed by taking the following steps:
- Visit the Start menu and type ‘command prompt’ in the search space.
- When the results appear, right-click the Command Prompt box and hit the Run as Administrator option.
- Now a clear black space will appear on the screen.
- Type SFC/Scannow in the CP window and hit Enter.
- The System File Checker utility will begin scanning and fixing any problems with your system files and folders.
- After its automatic run finishes, you can restart the system. These changes will get implemented, and you can continue the smooth operations of the business.
Solution 10: Repair the Microsoft Components Manually
If none other solutions work, you can try repairing the Microsoft MSXML and other components manually. Fixing them will help you eliminate error 1618.
Still QuickBooks error 1618 persists after applying the these solutions
You may skip the tiredness of the error-resolution processes by dialing our QuickBooks error support phone number 1.800.417.5147. Our certified professionals will make the troubleshooting a cakewalk. Without breaking a sweat, you can promptly get rid of QuickBooks error 1618. Get in touch!
Before you proceed with the troubleshooting of QuickBooks error 1618, undertake the following actions:
1. Keep your data safe and secure by taking a backup beforehand.
2. Ensure update of all the QB-related applications, including QB Desktop, QB Tool Hub, payroll, tax tables, etc.
3. Get your Windows updated to the latest version to maintain compatibility and meet system requirements for QB.
You can rectify QB error 1618 by trying the following solutions:
1. Run complete antivirus and malware scans to ensure no such attacks harm the system files.
2. Use other tools in QuickBooks Tool Hub that may help fix the problem.
3. Configure the Windows firewall and antivirus settings to ensure these apps and programs don’t restrict QuickBooks’ functioning.
4. Verify if any crucial file got deleted accidentally and recover or reinstall it.
5. Contact a QB specialist to get expert assistance.
You may notice QuickBooks error 1618 on your system for various reasons like corrupted Windows Installer, outdated MSIEXEC.EXE files, virus or malware triggers, etc.