TurboTax is a popular tax preparation application in the United States and Canadian tax returns. It has a huge user-base for its user-friendly interface for processing and electronic filing of tax returns for businesses and individual entrepreneurs. However, you can get TurboTax update error while updating the software to the latest release. Multi-faceted reasons can give rise to the update error in TurboTax, such as common connectivity issues and various others. In this post, we will discuss how you can update TurboTax to the latest maintenance release to harvest its improved features.
Getting TurboTax Update error while filing taxes? Give us a call on our expert helpline number 1.800.579.9430 and get immediate technical assistance from qualified professionals
How To Troubleshoot “Unable to Update TurboTax” Issue?
When the TurboTax update error occurs, it gives an error message on your screen that reads, “There is an update available for your version of TurboTax. Before you can file electronically, you’ll need to get this update.” The below-described are some effective solutions that can help you in troubleshooting update error in TurboTax software when performed carefully:
Solution 1: Troubleshoot Common Wireless Connection Issues
In the first place, you need to check if you have a stable wireless connection to download the TurboTax update. Try the below-givens steps to fix:
- On getting TurboTax update error while using a wireless connection, you need to open a new Internet browser session and try to open a website you haven’t open for long.
- If you are unable to open the site, consider restarting your wireless router.
- If the error persists, then you need to turn off your devices in the order – Computer > Router > Modem. Now turn on your modem, router and computer at the interval of two minutes. Try to update TurboTax. If you are unable to update Turbotax, then try the next troubleshooting procedure.
Solution 2: Run Disk Cleanup Tool To Resolve The Update Error
If the TurboTax update stops too soon, then you need to run the Disk Cleanup tool to delete unwanted files and clean the Recycle Bin. Follow the below-given steps to fix the TurboTax update error:
To delete temporary files:
- Type “disk cleanup” in the search box on the taskbar and select Disk Cleanup from the list of your search result.
- Next, you need to select the drive you want to clean up. Hit OK once you are done.
- From under Files to delete, select the type of the file you want to delete. Select the file to get the description of it.
- Hit OK to delete.
If you want to empty some more space, you can delete system files by following the below-given steps:
- From the Disk Cleanup, select Clean up system files.
- Next, you need to select the file type you want to delete. Select the file to get a description of it.
- Hit OK to confirm the deletion.
If TurboTax update error continues to trouble you, follow the next troubleshooting procedure.
Solution 3: Manually Update TurboTax For Windows
If none of the above-described solutions can help in troubleshooting the update error in TurboTax, then you will need to download the updates manually by following the below-given steps:
- Exit TurboTax and all other applications except this browser window.
- Next, click on the link to download the latest TurboTax Update.
- Now save the downloaded file to your Windows Desktop.
- Double-click the file w_perrelsuperpatch… file on your desktop to install the manual update.
Solution: Uninstall & Reinstall TurboTax on Windows
Step 1) Uninstall TurboTax Software from your System
- At first, press Alt + F4 keys on your keyboard to close the TurboTax program if it’s running.
- Right-click the icon of TurboTax and choose the Run as administrator option from the drop-down menu.
- Open your Windows Start menu, type “Control Panel” in the search bar, and open Control Panel.
- Go to the Programs and Features tab and look for the TurboTax version you want to delete from the programs list.
- After selecting the TurboTax version, you need to click on the Remove, Change, or Uninstall
- Now, choose the Uninstall TurboTax option on the Repair/Uninstall TurboTax window.
- At last, restart your system.
Step 2) Reinstall TurboTax Software on your System
- Install TurboTax using CD or from the downloaded setup file.
Need More Help?
The troubleshooting solutions discussed in this post can help you if you are facing the “TurboTax update not working” issue. However, if you have any doubt related to the procedures or need to talk to a professional, give us a call on our experts helpline number 1.800.579.9430. Once you are connected, you can explain your problem and easily get rid of the TurboTax update error.