Has QuickBooks error 6130 knocked suddenly on your screen while you were trying to access the company file in multi-user mode? If you’re unaware of what this issue stands for and how to rectify it quickly, consider this guide as your handy and friendly guide. Read in-depth about the error causes, symptoms, and troubleshooting ways.
The efficiency of QuickBooks in handling daily business accounting tasks surpasses its popularity among small to mid-size businesses. The users can easily toggle between the features owing to its easy-to-use interface, and the company file carries most of the work. Needless to say, it is the most crucial part of the software application, and almost everything suddenly stands if the user cannot open it for any reason.
That happens during the QuickBooks error 6130, which usually occurs in the multi-user mode. When the user tries to connect to the data file stored on the server, an error message appears on the screen stating that QuickBooks is trying to access the company file but cannot contact the database server. More about the issue is thoroughly discussed in the blog below. Read it till the end to find appropriate solutions to the problem.
The problem with the QuickBooks error 6130 is that it strikes the access to the company file, and the user can be stuck on it for hours if expert supervision is not present. Get a certified expert on the line to assist you by dialing the toll-free number 1.800.579.9430 anytime.
What is QuickBooks Error 6130?
QuickBooks error code 6130 signifies the disconnection between the QuickBooks company file location and the system. Usually, this error emerges in the multi-user mode. It makes accessing the company file challenging between client and server computers. It may show that the file is unavailable or corrupt.
Users may receive the company file error 6130 QuickBooks with the message, “QuickBooks is trying to access the company file but cannot contact the database server.” Rectifying this error swiftly becomes crucial to continue functioning smoothly. To do so, you need to understand the triggers for this error.
Why does QuickBooks Error 6130 Appear?
If you are getting error 6130 QuickBooks, one or all of the reasons below are behind it. Please take a good look to identify it/them and follow up with the correct solution in the next segment of the blog.
- The company file contains some damaged data.
- The QuickBooks version on the workstation is obsolete compared to the company file on the server, causing QuickBooks error code 6130
- Firewalls installed on the computer systems block the network connectivity between the user and the company file.
- The Windows OS requires an immediate update.
- The network data file or the transaction log is damaged or corrupted, leading to QuickBooks error message 6130.
- The database server manager is stopped due to unknown causes.
- There are some issues in the network configuration of the computers.
- QuickBooks application might be installed improperly, leading to QuickBooks company file error code 6130.
- Windows registry errors can attract this issue.
- Virus and malicious infections can cause this error.
- You may receive interference from third-party apps in the background.
- Unstable internet connections can also lead to this issue.
- Incompatibility between the QB versions, i.e., the company file may open in an updated version, but the client computers have outdated QuickBooks, which may lead to error code 6130 QuickBooks.
- Accessing files with insufficient admin rights can attract errors.
- The changed name of the computer hosting the company file, especially when the hosting was turned off, will lead to this error.
- You may see this error when you attempt to restore a backup from a flash drive or removable storage device.
Signs and Symptoms of QB Error 6130
When error 6130 QuickBooks strikes the system, the following things might happen:
- Active Windows will crash suddenly and frequently.
- You’ll see QB error 6130 messages on your screen.
- Opening the company file becomes troublesome.
- You will notice your system’s performance degrade and a loading circle spinning every time.
- The system may hang and not receive responses from mouse and keyboard inputs.
These symptoms make troubleshooting error 6130 QuickBooks Desktop crucial. Let’s see how you can do it in the next section.
Troubleshooting Methods for QB Error 6130
Below are the troubleshooting steps that will help you get rid of the error 6130 QuickBooks Desktop. Follow the solutions in the appearing order only.
Solution- 1: Try the QuickBooks File Doctor to Fix Data Damage in the Company File
If the company file is damaged, the user will continue to face error code 6130 QuickBooks Desktop while opening the company file on the network. Follow the steps below by running the QuickBooks File Doctor tool to fix the damage. However, the user must install the QuickBooks Tool Hub on their system to access the file doctor utility. You can easily download it from Intuit’s website.
- Go to the QuickBooks Tool Hub and select the Company File Issues tab.
- Choose the Run QuickBooks File Doctor button and browse to the location of your company file to select it.
- Click on the Check your file option and select the Continue button.
- If asked, enter your company file admin credentials and select Next.
- The file doctor will take some time to repair the data in the company file.
- Once done, back up the file and try to open it again to see if you’re getting error 6130.
Note: MacOS users can try the Verify and Rebuild Data utility to fix the data damage in the company file.
Solution- 2: Refresh the Corrupted Network Data File and Transaction Log
The network data file is essential to keep the network connectivity unaltered. If there is damage, the user won’t be able to connect to the company file in the multi-user environment. Follow the steps mentioned below to rename the file and get rid of the issue.
- Go to the Windows File Manager and open the C:/ Drive.
- Double-click on the Users folder and enter the Public directory.
- Visit the Public Documents folder and search for the Intuit folder.
- After entering the Intuit directory, double-click on the QuickBooks folder to open it.
- Search for the file with the same name as your data file but with extensions .ND and .TLG.
- Once you locate them, right-click on the files and select the Rename option.
- Add .PGH to its name and press the Enter key.
- QuickBooks will automatically create new and fresh files the next time you open the company file.
Solution- 3: Run the Database Server Manager Again
If the QuickBooks database server manager is not running behind the system or suddenly stops, the user might be getting error code 6130 on the computer system. Follow the steps mentioned below to restart the database server manager service.
- Open the Run window by pressing the Windows Key+ R on the server computer and enter Services.msc in the search box.
- Click OK, and a window will come up with a listicle of different services.
- Find the QuickBooksDBXX service and click on it.
- Select the Start button on the left panel and try to open the company file from the workstation. See if the error code 6130 QuickBooks Desktop persists.
Solution- 4: Clean Install the QuickBooks Desktop Application
One of the most frequent reasons behind QuickBooks Desktop giving error 6130 is corruption in the program installation files. In that case, a solid troubleshooting method is to clean install the QuickBooks application. Before going on with the steps mentioned below, prepare a company file backup and have the QuickBooks Tool Hub installed on your system.
- Go to Control Panel and select the Uninstall a Program option under the Programs and Features.
- From the list of programs, look for QuickBooks Desktop and fix it.
- Click on Uninstall / Change and wait for the installation wizard to come up.
- Click Yes on the Windows Prompt and follow the instructions coming on the wizard to uninstall the application.
- Once you get rid of the application, open the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Go to the Installation Issues tab and click the Clean Install Tool button.
- Choose the OK button and verify your QB version.
- Click on Continue and then OK to the confirmation message.
- Once the tool finishes the task, install QuickBooks again and see if you are still getting error code 6130 QuickBooks.
Solution- 5: Clean out System Junk using Disk Cleanup
Clearing out system junk can resolve error 6130. Therefore, clean it as follows:
- From the Start tab, type Command in the search space without hitting Enter.
- Press Ctrl and Shift keys together, then hit Enter.
- You will notice a permission dialog box, where you must hit the Yes option.
- In the search bar, you need to type cleanmgr and press Enter.
- You will notice Disk Cleanup runs to clean the temporary file space and even erase it with your permission.
- Now, your task is to choose the categories you wish to clean and then hit OK to fix error code 6130 QuickBooks Desktop.
Solution- 6: Undo the Recent Changes with System Restore
Move to the Start tab, type System Restore, and hit the Enter key. Hit the option and enter the Admin password if asked. The Wizard will offer instructions you must follow and then go for Restore point. Safely end the process by rebooting the system and see if you are getting error 6130 QuickBooks.
Solution 7: Alter the File Location
Changing the location of the company file from a USB, flash drive, or external storage to a local hard drive will help resolve error 6130. Rectify the problem as follows:
- Go to the server hosting the company file and open its local C drive.
- Launch the QB file in QuickBooks from the C Drive.
- Form a portable file and save it to the C drive.
- Close the company file and then restore it from the C drive.
- Save it to the server.
- Close the company file and see if you are still getting message 6130 QuickBooks Desktop.
Wrapping Up the QB Error 6130 Solutions
As we end our blog on the causes and solutions of QuickBooks error 6130, we wish that our readers get through the technical language of the post quickly and solve the issues they are facing in no time. While our solutions will take care of the error, we would like to offer an alternative to those users who could not get rid of the company file problems even after trying out every troubleshooting available on the web. So get an expert to assist you on the line by calling on the helpline number 1.800.579.9430 anytime.
Yes, you can fix QuickBooks error 6130 by running the system file checker. It allows users to scan and restore corruption in Windows OS files. Initiate this solution by launching the Command prompt from the search bar (type CMD, press Ctrl + Shift, then Enter). On the screen that appears, enter SFC/scan now, and the system will run the scan.
When you run complete malware scans on your system, it eliminates errors like 6130 QB. Malware files damage, delete, or corrupt the error-related files. Therefore, running a malware scan is critical to remove them from the source.
Before troubleshooting QuickBooks error 6130, you should follow the steps given below:
1. You should ensure all servers and workstations are on the same page with the latest QuickBooks Desktop version.
2. You should ensure the security of your files by taking their backup beforehand.
3. Update your Windows and minimize compatibility issues.
4. You can use QuickBooks File Doctor to fix problems with your company file.
You can resolve QuickBooks error 6130 by checking your Windows registries. If they are error-induced, you need to repair them. Also, take a backup of the registry entries related to the error.