QuickBooks Payroll is a highly used and liked feature of the QuickBooks application. Various components help manage employee as well as business taxes. In addition, regular updates help the users get rid of minor issues with QuickBooks payroll. But, at times, the error may appear during the process of updating the payroll, and “QuickBooks Error PS034: The payroll update did not complete successfully” error message may appear on the user’s screen.
If you have encountered the same error, we suggest using this blog to resolve it as soon as possible. If you are short of time, try contacting the support team on +1 800-579-9430
The Significant Reasons for Payroll Update Error PS034
When studying the Payroll update error PS034, it is observed that it may occur because of one or more reasons given below. However, we would like to clarify that the list is not restricted to the reasons below but can take place for other unknown reasons.
- Corruption or damage is seeded in the QuickBooks installation files, resulting in QuickBooks error PS034.
- Another reason for the update error can be network failure with the update files.
- Some previous payroll update was incomplete, which isn’t letting you download the latest updates.
What is your Best Bet to Resolve QuickBooks Error PS034?
Studying the reasons gives you a rough idea of what leads to QuickBooks error PS034. Based on your observation, follow various solutions listed below and eliminate the update error PS034.
First, you must know that the SUI rate is set by your state and every business has a unique SUI rate.
You must update the SUI rate in payroll whenever it changes. Hence, you can maintain the accuracy of your SUI tax liability. However, you must follow the steps based on the payroll version.
QuickBooks Online Payroll
- Open your web browser and access your QuickBooks Online account with the correct credentials.
- Navigate to Settings and then click on Payroll settings.
- Click on the Edit icon present next to the state you want to update.
- Once you are on the State Unemployment Insurance (SUI) Setup section, choose the Change or add new rate option.
- Fill in the new rate and its effective date.
- In case of surcharge or assessment tax rates, you must enter it at this point.
- Set the new rate and its effective date.
- Click on the OK button to save your changes.
QuickBooks Desktop Payroll
If you are a user of QuickBooks Desktop Payroll, then the SUI rate won’t be present in the normal tax table updates. This means that you must update it manually. Here’s how you update your SUI to solve QuickBooks error PS034.
- Click on the Lists menu and choose Payroll Item List.
- When you see the [state abbreviation] – Unemployment Company option, double-click on it.
- Keep selecting Next until you reach the “Company tax rates” page.
- Type in the accurate rates for each quarter.
- Hit Next and choose Finish.
If you have surcharges or assessments
In case of a surcharge or assessment for state unemployment, you must update extra rates in QuickBooks.
- First, navigate to the Lists menu.
- Choose Payroll Item List.
- Double-click on the State Surcharge item.
- Click on Next and then use the onscreen steps.
- When you see the Company Tax Rate window, enter the rate as a percentage.
Our experts recommend that whenever paying the employees, you update your tax table. Here are the steps to update QuickBooks error PS034.
- Click on Employees, then choose Get Payroll Updates.
- Click on the Download Entire Update checkbox to select it.
- Press the Download Latest Update button.
If the payroll service subscription is not active, you must review it to solve the error PS034 in QuickBooks.
- Close the QuickBooks application and the company files.
- Next, restart your computer.
- Launch the QuickBooks application.
- Click on Employees and then My Payroll Service.
- Choose Manage Service Key.
- Review the Service Name and Status. It must show as Active.
- Click on Edit, and confirm the service key number. If it is not correct, fill in the right service key.
- Choose Next, and click on the Open Payroll Setup box to deselect it.
- Press the Finish button.
- You will have the entire payroll update downloaded.
It is possible that during the process of updating the application, you may accidentally create various copies of QuickBooks on your system. However, multiple copies of the same QuickBooks version can lead to ambiguity. You must immediately remove any other installations of the same version of QuickBooks–
- Use your keyboard’s Windows + R keys to open the Run prompt.
- Type Control Panel in the search box.
- Press the OK button.
- Choose the Programs and Features option.
- Select Uninstall a Program.
- Now make use of the list of programs to highlight copies of the same version of QuickBooks.
- Click on the copies and press the Uninstall/ Change button.
- The system will guide you to uninstall these copies.
That is all for QuickBooks Error PS034. We have attempted to wrap up all the relevant information concerning this update error. If you still face the error, we suggest availing professional help by dialing the support number +1 800-579-9430.