QuickBooks error 248 can occur when a user tries to run payroll for the employees or take a backup of the QuickBooks company file. When the error occurs, you can get an error message on your screen that reads, “QuickBooks company file is not found.” The error message indicated that you need to rebuild your QuickBooks company file. There can be several reasons behind error 248 in QuickBooks. To know the possible causes behind the error and troubleshoot the nuisance, read this post until the end.
Annoyed with the perplexing rebuild error 248? Dial our QuickBooks error support number 1.800.579.9430 to get effective troubleshooting assistance
What is QuickBooks Error 248?
Error 248 QuickBooks is a frustrating technical snag arising while running payroll for employees or creating backups for the QuickBooks company file. The error message that might accompany this code states, “Warning: QuickBooks found some problems with your company file, but don’t worry! You can fix most issues by rebuilding your company file (File/Utilities/Rebuild Data).”
The error code 248 QuickBooks Desktop appears due to overpaying an employee or the payroll taxes to the government. Usually, a paycheck with two withholding lines gets designated as damaged. The advice is to void or delete these paychecks. However, when you overpay up to $85, there’s no need to worry. The overpayment can get applied to the following period’s underpayment. It means that QB will automatically reduce the Federal Withholding Tax amount on the next paycheck.
The error message 248 QuickBooks can be daunting. Users may not understand what to do after receiving this error. However, if they wish to delete the paycheck, they need to undertake the following steps:
- Tap on the particular Transaction and hit the Delete option.
- Hit OK to confirm the decision.
Rebuild the company file after you delete your paycheck and then form a backup of your company file to prevent data loss.
Reasons Why QuickBooks Error 248 Emerges
“Warning: QuickBooks found some problems with your company file, but don’t worry! You can fix most issues by rebuilding your company file.” This error message can take place mainly due to reasons, as stated in the below-given list:
- Damage in QuickBooks company file.
- Overpaying an employee or payroll taxes.
- Your QuickBooks Desktop Files might be damaged.
Getting error message 248 QuickBooks can be annoying as it disrupts the user’s functioning. It might cause problems running payroll or performing other routine operations in QB, like creating a backup file. Therefore, adequate troubleshooting solutions are necessary to eliminate problems like error code 248.
Troubleshooting Methods for QuickBooks Error 248
Now that you are aware of the possible causes behind error code 248, you can resolve the issue with the utmost ease. Follow the solutions explained below and fix the error like a pro:
Solution 1: Run QuickBooks Rebuild Data Utility
QuickBooks Verify & Rebuild Data Utilities work together to self-identify and resolve company file issues in the QuickBooks software. When users keep getting error code 248 QuickBooks,the message also suggests troubleshooting using the Rebuild Data Utility in QuickBooks. Follow the below-given steps:
- Open the QuickBooks application, and from under the File tab, select Utilities.
- Now click the Rebuild Data option.
- Follow the on-screen instructions with utmost attention to save your company backup files.
- Wait until the file backup process completes, and then hit OK to finish the task.
- You can detect if the problem persists by running the Verify Data utility. For that, head back to the File menu in QuickBooks Data. Select Utilities > Verify Data.
- Run the scan and see if any error remains.
If Error 248 in QuickBooks persists after this troubleshooting procedure, move to the next solution.
Solution 2: Make Use Of Verify Data Utility
Verifying Data Utility in QuickBooks helps users find possible data integrity issues in the company file. Follow the below stated steps to use it:
- Launch the QuickBooks application in the first place.
- Now go to the File tab and select Utilities >> Verify Data.
- Hit OK if you get the message “QuickBooks detected no problem with your data.”
- If the utility detects any issue in the company file, click Rebuild Now to fix the issue.
- Hit Close to finish.
What To Do When QuickBooks Error 248 Occurs While running Payroll?
QuickBooks error code 248 while running payroll can crop up due to overpaying an employee or overpaying payroll taxes. To resolve the issue, delete relevant paychecks by following the below-described solution.
Solution 1: Create And Add Item In QuickBooks
Launch the QuickBooks application and follow the below-given steps:
- Click the Payroll List Option from within the List section and select New Item.
- Next, click the Custom Setup option and click Next.
- Enter a name for the new item you want to add to QuickBooks
- Now select a suitable account to link the item.
- Choose None for the Tax Tracking Type option and then hit Next twice.
- Hit Neither and then Next.
- Enter the amount that is overpaid and then hit Finish.
Solution 2: Delete a Paycheck in QBDT
Consider deleting a paycheck if you’re still getting error 248 in QuickBooks Desktop. Recreate it if it’s a regular check by saving its details beforehand and manually entering the information. Overpaying an employee or payroll taxes is the primary reason for this error. So, deleting the paycheck can be your helpful guide. Do so as follows:
- Visit the Employees menu and move to the Payroll Center.
- Go to the Recent payrolls section. Hit the Net Pay amount to extract the list of paychecks.
- Open the details of each paycheck by double-clicking them.
- Press Ctrl + D or the Delete option/ icon above.
- Tap OK in the Delete Transaction window to validate the decision.
- After doing so, you can recreate the transaction.
Solution 3: Adjust the Employee Info
Adjustments are necessary to correct the withholding. Do so as follows:
- Under the Employees menu, hit the Payroll taxes and liabilities option.
- Choose the Adjust Payroll Liabilities option, followed by entering the date and effective date.
- Select the Employee and Employee’s name in the adjustment section.
- Select the payroll item that requires adjustment under the taxes and liabilities section.
- Enter a negative value for reduction and hit OK to save it.
Solution 4: File the W-2c and W-3c Manually
After adjusting the employee information, you will need to adjust the W-2, 941, and 940.You can utilize QuickBooks Desktop’s printable W-2c and W-3c as references. Then, enter the W-2c and W-3c manually filed with the Social Security Administration through these steps:
- In the Employee menu, select the Payroll center.
- Next, move to the File Forms tab and select Annual Form W-2c/ W-3c- Tax Statement and Corrected Wage. Next, hit the Create Form option.
- Now, select the Employee and hit the Review/ Edit option.
- Review each page thoroughly and check if the box is a W-2c, the altered form of a W-2.
- Fill in the gaps that need to be closed in the Previously Reported and Correct Information columns.
- Right-click and select Override from the context menu to delete the amounts from the remaining lines.
Adding previously dated paychecks
Error 248 might lead you to face glitches in historical paychecks. However, you can enter this data through the following steps. The date you enter must fall after the date for the previous Year-to-Date pay period you will be entering in the QB Desktop.
- Move to the Help menu at the top and select About QuickBooks.
- Press Ctrl + Alt + Y when a green circle appears. Alternatively, press Ctrl + Shift + Y to launch the Setup YTD Amount window.
- Hit Next until you reach the When should YTD summaries affect accounts? Page. You will need to enter the year when the adjustments must take effect for the dates.
- Now, enter the first estimated payroll date and hit Next.
- Click the employee’s name and press Enter Summary on the next window.
- Now, update the dates on the following page. Enter the lump sum information per employee for YTD from prior years. Enter current quarter YTDs per payroll per employee.
- Hit the Show Wage Bases option to add a column to view the taxable income amount next to every payroll item in the Other Employee and Company Payroll items box.
- Hit the Accounts Affected button and opt for the option you want.
- Continue the process until all the employees are completed. Click OK to save the work and repeat the process for each employee.
- After everything is done, hit Next and Finish.
Solution 5: Use QuickBooks Tool Hub to Fix Error 248
When none of the troubleshooting methods work, you need to download and install QuickBooks Tool Hub. Do so as follows:
- Visit the official website of Intuit and find the download link for QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Initiate the download process and save the file to an accessible location.
- Once done, go to the place where you saved the QB Tool Hub file.
- Here, double-tap the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file.
- The installation procedure will begin, and you will see the prompts appear on the screen.
- Execute them all, accept the terms and conditions, and successfully install the Tool Hub.
- Open the QB Tool Hub from the icon on the desktop and run it.
QuickBooks File Doctor
QuickBooks File Doctor Tool is an excellent utility for fixing company file issues. You can resolve your problems as follows:
- In the QuickBooks Tool Hub, visit the Company File Issues section.
- Opt for the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool and begin the scanning process.
- Select Check your company file, followed by Continue.
- Enter the QB Admin credentials, followed by Next.
Operate the Verify and Rebuild data utility after running the QB File Doctor Tool.
Quick Fix My File
You can also run the Quick Fix My File app from the company file issues section in the QB Tool Hub.
Quick Fix My Program
If you face performance issues in the QuickBooks application due to error 248 QuickBooks, run the Quick Fix My Program utility. Do so as follows:
- Open QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Access the Program Problems tab.
- Opt for Quick Fix My Program.
- Finish the scanning process.
Solution 6: Run the System File Checker Scan
Operating the System File Checker scan can help you fix various errors in QuickBooks. Do so as follows:
- Go to the Start menu on your system. You can also open the Run Window by selecting Windows + R on the keyboard.
- In the Run Window or Start menu, type cmd to launch the Command Prompt window.
- Ensure to open the cmd window as an administrator.
- Once done, type SFC/Scannow in the command prompt window.
- Hit Enter and the system file checker utility will operate and diagnose all the errors.
The above-described solutions in this article are some of the most suitable solutions to eliminate QuickBooks error 248. However, if you are not able to perform the troubleshooting procedures due to any issue, then don’t hesitate to dial our QuickBooks error support helpline number 1.800.579.9430. In a matter of seconds, you will be connected to a dedicated QB ProAdvisor, who will assist you in resolving the QuickBooks issue.
QuickBooks Error 248 will have the following effects on the user’s device:
1. Windows Operating System doesn’t perform properly.
2. QuickBooks application performs sluggishly.
3. The payroll function doesn’t work, and paychecks don’t get processed.
4. Backing up the files becomes a hassle.
5. The mouse and keyboard commands do not get any responses.
Due to error 248 QuickBooks, you’ll need to restore the backups as follows:
1. Launch the File menu and opt for the Open or Restore a Company option.
2. If there’s a backup of your company’s file, select that option and hit Restore a backup copy.
3. Find the backup files with the .qbb extension while saving and opening the files.
4. Bear in mind that the actions performed in the recent versions won’t affect the older restored versions.