QuickBooks error 3140 takes place when the downloading process of the QuickBooks Desktop gets corrupted. Several other issues can also promote the issue in the QuickBooks Desktop, hampering your workflow. When the error takes place, you will see an error message on your screen, “Status Code 3140. There is an invalid reference to QuickBooks item xxxx in the invoice line. QuickBooks error message: invalid argument. The specified record does not exist in the list.” Follow the blog until the end to find and eradicate the causes behind error 3140 in QuickBooks.
Annoyed with error code 3140 in QuickBooks Desktop and need instant technical relief? Dial our QuickBooks error support number 1.800.579.9430 now
What Are The Main Causes Behind QuickBooks Error Code 3140?
Below are some main reasons that can promote error 3140 in QuickBooks:
- When you insert special characters ($, %, *, @) in the invoice and product names
- Possible data damage in the QuickBooks company (.qbw) file
- Make sure that the sales tax is enabled in the program or wait for the error code 3140 to appear on your screen
- When you make a mistake while entering tax code in QuickBooks My Works settings
- QuickBooks fails to access a company file located on the server when you are working in a multi-user mode
You can identify the QB error code 3140 by checking for the below-given indications:
- Error 3140 appears on the screen abruptly crashing an active Window
- You receive an error message for the error stating the apparent reasons behind the problem
- Your system crashes on running the same program
- Windows becomes lethargic and gives slow response over the inputs provided by mouse or keyboard
- System freezes periodically for a few seconds
How to Resolve QuickBooks Error Status Code 3140?
Below are some effective solutions, you can use to fix the QuickBooks giving error code 3140:
Solution 1: Run a Full Malware Scan on Your System
To eradicate the possible data damage caused due to a malicious virus or malware attack, you need to run the full scan on your system. On finding the infected programs, you need to fix them immediately; otherwise, they can hamper the performance of your accounting program severely. After getting the job done, check if the QB error message 3140 persists.
Solution 2: Utilize Disk Cleanup for System Cleaning
Creating a heap of unnecessary files and folder within the QuickBooks can hamper the performance of the accounting program. Eliminating these undesired files using Disk Cleanup can troubleshoot the QuickBooks 2019 Error 3140.
- Click Start icon on your Windows Desktop and type “command” in the blank area
- Press and hold CTRL + Shift and click Enter
- Click Yes for the permission box that appears next
- A new black screen will appear on the screen, where you need to type “cleanmgr” using the blinking cursor
- Hit Enter to initiate the process
- Checkmark the boxes for the files you want to eliminate and click OK to confirm the action
If QB Web Connector Error 3140 continues, then move to the next troubleshooting solution.
Solution 3: Rename Products to Eliminate the Special Characters
To remove the special characters, open the product list, and see if a special character exists in the product name or their description. If yes, remove them and try to perform the step giving error message 3140 in QB Desktop.
Solution 4: Run QuickBooks Verify/Rebuild Data Utility
Verify and Rebuild Data utilities in QuickBooks helps users to determine the data integrity issues in the program and resolve them. It can resolve a wide array of the fatal issues that may cause QuickBooks Desktop to crash. If you are not sure how to use it, follow our detailed article on QuickBooks Verify & Rebuild Data Utility.
Still Getting QuickBooks Error Message 3140!
If none of the above solutions worked well for the error-resolution, it means that some other issue is causing the error: 3140 in the program. Dial our QB support helpline number 1.800.579.9430 and get professional assistance in the removal of QuickBooks error 3140.